55G Reef Aquarium

Pysiek

Reefing newb
Let me introduce myself first... Hi my name is Kris :mrgreen:
Couple days ago I received a 55G tank from my friend who quit his reef tank. He only gave me the tank,lights,sump , hang on skimmer and a pump with powerhead. I need to clean the tank first and then start to put everything together.
My set up will be a reef aquarium in which I have no experience at all. Many questions will be asked :D
First I will post some pictures of the stuff I have already. In the next week or two I would like to purchase a in-sump skimmer. It will be a slow process because I'm getting married next Saturday.
Okay lets put some pictures. I apologize for the quality. But I took them with my cell phone and the lighting is not so good on that side of my garage.
IMAG0073-1.jpg

My Reverse Osmosis Unit. I also have a storage tank but it still mounted under our sink and I have to pull it out.
IMAG0074-1.jpg

RO unit fits great under the tank
IMAG0075-1.jpg

Sump ( I know very bad picture)
IMAG0070.jpg

Back of the sump
IMAG0071.jpg

Can anyone explain to me how this works???? I know it connect to sump but how the water get into the box? I'm I missing something?
IMAG0072-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes your missing the U-tube for the overflow box and so far looks alright. The lights look stock single bulb lights probably with 50/50 bulbs if single. Just not the best for a reef tank. I would look in to save up for a better light that just my opinion. check out ebay and craigslist for lights you can find some sweet deals on there.

Should I use the bulb lights or LED? Also can I go to my local home improvement store and purchase a hose that I can use for the overflow u-tube? Where I can find any information explaining how the overflow box works?

Last edited:
Right now I'm making the transfer to LED but on my tank is a Quad T5 light working 1 ATI blue plus and 1 ATI purple plus and 2 12k daylight bulbs. The main reason I'm going to led is the cost of running my tank. I want cut the cost as much as I can where I can.

As for the U-tube I'm not sure the overflow I have is a CS90 by CPR that does not use a U-tube. most places I've seen around by me that carries saltwater fish and tank supply's can get them for you thare not that much like $5 and change.

Glad to meet you Kris...and congrats on the wedding. The tank looks pretty good and the only thing missing is a u-tube.

Welcome to the forum mate! Ask away, great bunch of people here, and extremely knowledgeable.
Also, congrats on the wedding!

I have a pro clear aquatic systems model pro 75. Not the brand new one but older design check here: ProClear Aquatics Premier 75 Wet Dry Filter,Pro Clear Wet Dry Sumps,Aquarium Sump,Aquarium Wet Dry,Wet Dry Filter,Wet Dry Filtration, Pro Clear Filter,Pro Clear Wet Dry
Instead of the bioballs like on the above picture I will put live rocks and macro algae. But the shape and size of the sump might not be right to do that.

I wish this forum have a tapatalk forum app. I will post answers quicker :-(

Last edited:
Okay. I was able to take some better pictures of the sump tank. There is a space where I should insert a sponge but I was thinking to make a divider in that place. what do you guys think? Can I use this tank for refugium?
DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0018.jpg

DSCN0017.jpg

DSCN0016.jpg

DSCN0015.jpg

DSCN0013.jpg

You can make almost anything into a refugium. I converted a hang on filter into one for a 10 gallon tank. The biggest question is will a new sump give you more space and do you want to outlay the cash. Me I am cheap I would modify...but thats just me.

10 gallon sump is going to be small.. I have a 20 gallon long with a refugium and I still wish I had more space in there.. It all depends what your going to do with the sump..

And if your make that sump you have there into a refugium your going to have to use a hang on protein skimmer which is something I wouldn't recommend to anyone..

I made the decision to build a refugium. Main reason is that I want to have a in-sump skimmer.
Now my questions:
1.Where should I place auto top off valve? Return chamber or drain chamber?
2.Should I place the refugium in the last chamber and then the return chamber on the middle to separate refugium and drain chamber?
I found this design on different forum
sumpfuge.jpg

Is it good?

Last edited:
I would recommend again the DSB. They're not really worth it. Loads of rock rubble and chaeto is the way to go.

There is also no problem with a HOB skimmer. Several members here use them and love them.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the DSB. Some chaeto in your fuge can accomplish the same thing and it's a lot less risky.

Also, most people switch the locations of the fuge and skimmer compartments....I don't know the reason why, but figured I would point that out.

Back