55G Reef Aquarium

I thought of putting a valve on the return in the skimmer section. That way I can control the flow to both chambers

I don't know what is going on with me but on Saturday is my wedding and the only thing I'm thinking about is the refugium build and tank set up coming :frustrat: .
Question: Is the return line should be submerged below water line ? Or above to release some pressure?

below water line...however drill a hole (two is better) in the elbow for the diffuser just below the water line. If you have a power outage this will break siphon faster. Which means less chance of water on the floor. The line under the water because you dont want splashing. which leads to excessive salt creep and frequent restroom trips.

i'm back :-) and finally have start to work on my refugium sump. In what chamber I should place the water heater?

After I use weldon #4 to put together refugium sump. Do I need to do something else to make sure it won't leak? Of course except the leak test :-)

No I did not yet glue the walls. I'm waiting for the weld-on #16 to arrive. I tried to use a router to even all edges but it looks like I'm not a handyman :-( .
Question about RO system. The one I have it's been sitting under our sink for about 2 years but we never used it. Previous owner have it connected but we disconnect it when we remodel the kitchen 2 years ago. The question is should I change the filters? How to check if I still can use the ones we have right now?

Last edited:
I just purchased a DI system that I can add to my RO system. RO system comes with about 3.5Gallon steel tank do I need it? SOmebody told it is only used if I want to use the system for drinking water.

I just purchased a DI system that I can add to my RO system. RO system comes with about 3.5Gallon steel tank do I need it? SOmebody told it is only used if I want to use the system for drinking water.

I'd go for a plastic drinking water tank for holding.

So the one I have right now it's not good? This is what I have EROR350 Water Treatment System - EROR350 Reverse Osmosis Systems - ECO Water Florida
One more thing. How do I check what is the overflow box rated at? There is no name or model number on the box and I don't know how big pump I need.

well for myself just my :twocents: personaly even knowing that ocean faced areas of this and other country sink steel structures to make artificial reefs for sport fishing and divers for my tank I would not want to use any kind of metal just to be safe. You just never know what will have traces of copper in it.

any please feel free to correct me if I have something wrong here. I know my pump and many of our pumps have aluminum screws in them. I just have to assume due to the hobby they are reef safe items for all of us to use.

Again just my feelings on this I just could not trust a steel holding tank for my mix water. I'd look deeper in to this myself just to be safe. also just remember its not a race always best to do research just to have that peace of mind :D:Cheers:

ZyberGoby I was thinking about the plastic container before. But then I will need to purchase a separate pump and top off switch. Right now I have a floating switch which can be connected straight to the RO. Where I can find a setup that uses RO/DI system and plastic container with pump?

Some progress made. Last night I added live rock to the tank. Please check the pictures and let me know what is the red thing on my rock? Is it algae? If Yes is it the bad or good one?
IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0103.jpg