56 Gallon Tall - Beginner Status

Im well aware. Here is the picture of the cowfish I had seen in Charleston. Hard to tell the size by the picture but i would say this was about 15in at least and in a 3600ga tank I believe.The guy at the LFS said the size of mine was fine for now until I upgrade later. And I am considering jumping into a 150-200ga next week.
995895_10200561247807547_1441658448_n.jpg

Hey there. I'm a complete noob to saltwater aquariums and I was reading your thread because I wanted to see what other new people are doing and how people have set tanks up.... I have no qualifications to criticize because I have no experience but I have a couple questions...and or comments for you..

1) Do you consider this whole tank experience and the fish disposable?

2) I have read a lot on the forums and books and it seems most of what your doing is opposite of what is recommended.. (like using tap water instead of rodi water.. I also noticed the guy offered you a free system from the start of your thread)

3) i also noticed you asked a question about getting a cuc because you were concerned about fish waste but you went and bought a cow fish and then later posted again about needing a clean up crew..

4) do you think your tank is going to crash?

again don't take me as a jerk I just was surprised by reading your thread and the direction you have gone with your tank and how it is going to all work out. Since you are on here I assume you read about what you should and shouldn't do with a tank like so many inches of fish per gallons of aquarium and stuff..

Just curious. :)

Tooned, he doesn't like to take advice. He'll find out the hard way, just like everyone else, that some things just aren't things you should do. If that boxfish gets stressed out, and releases it's toxin, every fish in that tank is dead. Now, that will suck, because he's going to lose a lot of fish because of a stupid decision, and realistically, it's unfair to the fish who have no say over what happens to them. However, it is his tank, and he's allowed to do what he wants, regardless of how stupid it is.

And, the Mandarin is most likely going to starve unless it's trained on frozen, or pellets. But, then again, most aren't readily available doing such.

I know you aren't fond of advice, Ramen, but, if you still have the Eel, I'd get rid of it before it snaps at the boxfish. Best of luck, and hopefully you wise up before you kill a lot of fish.

Last edited:
Ok, im getting a little tired of validating my choices with you guys.
1) Salt fish are new to me. Yes the tank experience and the fish are disposable. The second it becomes inconvenient I will be a realistic person and sell the aquarium and supplies to someone else who is interested in the hobby. I don't live my life around these fish. They fit into my life. I have fish because I can't have a dog or a Lamborghini. This seemed like a nice trade off.
2) I follow tips and advice from local experts and enthusiasts, same as anyone else. Just because I don't take all the advice in this forum doesn't mean im not listening. I haven't suffered any dead fish or incidents beyond the expected. I monitor the tank constantly. I live in an apartment where I pay for water. an RODI system that wastes a ton of water is not a great option for me. and a "free" system was offered to me from someone who lives like 3-4 hours away. Its one thing to offer and another to give it away.
3) I haven't ordered a CUC because they don't have the set I want in stock.
4) My tank might crash, and I would be sad. But that doesn't mean I should not progress in my hobby. Everyone learns at a different pace, and people learn from mistakes. Sorry if I move faster than you guys want.

I spoke with the LFS for at least an hour about adding the longhorn. I asked many questions, even specifically to the eel. It is far too large for the eel to attack and in fact the longhorn, just like the puffer, will nip the eel's tail if he leaves it in the open. I made it absolutely clear that I was aware the boxfish had the ability to kill my entire tank but at this point I was looking for a bigger challenge. Adding the fish was not something I did on a whim without thinking about it. I watched the mandarin eat in store before purchasing it, just like I do with all my fish. I asked what they feed the fish and I bought supplies right from the store, just like I do with all my fish. It does indeed eat both frozen and pellets, just like all my other fish. Lets be real here, these are fish born in captivity, raised with the purpose for me to buy. These fish don't have a life unless consumer's like me continue to buy them.

This forum is full of doom and gloom and neigh-sayers. If I am doing so many things wrong, why does my coralline algae continue to grow? my shrimp and crabs molt? the big fish don't eat the little fish? everyone wakes up with the same number of fins? bad algae doesn't appear? I do regular water changes, I condition my water, I check my levels, I use high quality food, I research fish before I bring them home. Please, do tell what I am doing wrong? I'm not saying I know everything, or anything for that matter. And I'm not saying that I don't make mistakes. But just because I didn't do things your way makes it the wrong way. So because you wouldn't have added a boxfish means me adding it was a stupid choice? Ya, ok. I guess we should all just go setup the same tanks with the same supplies and the same fish. Perfect. Send me the list. A mistake would be like not researching the fish, not watching it eat, picking a sick one, not acclimating it correctly, not feeding it correctly and then killing my tank. On that I would take advice. But I its not advice to say it was a stupid choice because the fish has a toxin...I even ASKED for advice on alternative water choices. no says a thing. So thanks, thanks for nothing.

Ok, im getting a little tired of validating my choices with you guys.
1) Salt fish are new to me. Yes the tank experience and the fish are disposable. The second it becomes inconvenient I will be a realistic person and sell the aquarium and supplies to someone else who is interested in the hobby. I don't live my life around these fish. They fit into my life. I have fish because I can't have a dog or a Lamborghini. This seemed like a nice trade off.
2) I follow tips and advice from local experts and enthusiasts, same as anyone else. Just because I don't take all the advice in this forum doesn't mean im not listening. I haven't suffered any dead fish or incidents beyond the expected. I monitor the tank constantly. I live in an apartment where I pay for water. an RODI system that wastes a ton of water is not a great option for me. and a "free" system was offered to me from someone who lives like 3-4 hours away. Its one thing to offer and another to give it away.
3) I haven't ordered a CUC because they don't have the set I want in stock.
4) My tank might crash, and I would be sad. But that doesn't mean I should not progress in my hobby. Everyone learns at a different pace, and people learn from mistakes. Sorry if I move faster than you guys want.

I spoke with the LFS for at least an hour about adding the longhorn. I asked many questions, even specifically to the eel. It is far too large for the eel to attack and in fact the longhorn, just like the puffer, will nip the eel's tail if he leaves it in the open. I made it absolutely clear that I was aware the boxfish had the ability to kill my entire tank but at this point I was looking for a bigger challenge. Adding the fish was not something I did on a whim without thinking about it. I watched the mandarin eat in store before purchasing it, just like I do with all my fish. I asked what they feed the fish and I bought supplies right from the store, just like I do with all my fish. It does indeed eat both frozen and pellets, just like all my other fish. Lets be real here, these are fish born in captivity, raised with the purpose for me to buy. These fish don't have a life unless consumer's like me continue to buy them.

This forum is full of doom and gloom and neigh-sayers. If I am doing so many things wrong, why does my coralline algae continue to grow? my shrimp and crabs molt? the big fish don't eat the little fish? everyone wakes up with the same number of fins? bad algae doesn't appear? I do regular water changes, I condition my water, I check my levels, I use high quality food, I research fish before I bring them home. Please, do tell what I am doing wrong? I'm not saying I know everything, or anything for that matter. And I'm not saying that I don't make mistakes. But just because I didn't do things your way makes it the wrong way. So because you wouldn't have added a boxfish means me adding it was a stupid choice? Ya, ok. I guess we should all just go setup the same tanks with the same supplies and the same fish. Perfect. Send me the list. A mistake would be like not researching the fish, not watching it eat, picking a sick one, not acclimating it correctly, not feeding it correctly and then killing my tank. On that I would take advice. But I its not advice to say it was a stupid choice because the fish has a toxin...I even ASKED for advice on alternative water choices. no says a thing. So thanks, thanks for nothing.

Tomatelo con take it easy man.

I can understand why you might be a little defensive... That wasn't my intent.Actually your tank build and how you have gone about it just left me confused about which direction i was going to go.mostly because your pics and info make it sound like your tank is in good shape but you technique was just throwaing me off from what i read and what my lfs is telling me. Again hang in there and enjoy it your way.

Sorry to hear about your fish! My eel keeps everyone on edge so I see ich every once and a while. I just turn the temp up till it clears. I have been very lucky so far. You have some expensive fish. Beyond being a good caretaker, I would hate to lose the investment in live stock. Good luck!

Can be found here. https://www.livingreefs.com/dead-heniocus-missing-scotter-t48011.html

By taking advice, you can avoid the problems. And, it's cruel to the animals to put them through something that can be avoided, just so you can "learn". Sitting there saying the fish are disposable is pretty sad. Life isn't something that should just be shrugged off.

And just a little fyi, Ich isn't really a expected "incident" if you do things correctly. It means your fish are stressed. Stress a boxfish out, see how well that works out.

Unsubscribed. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
I care about the fish in the sense that they cost me money and my time and I like to maximize the effectiveness of both. I'm not saying I don't care, because I do. I spend several hours a week cleaning and caring for the tank, and 10x that enjoying it. I am saying that I bought fish at the cost of 3.99 with the expectation that they would be fun to watch but would eventually be eel food. It's the way of the world, little fish get eaten by big fish. Check out youtube and you will see plenty of people feeding their aquarium creatures in far more cruel ways.

On the bright side, what I thought was a bad case of ich was actually just the normal white spots on the cow fish. I thought they were an illness but it was really just the fish changing colors/pattens slightly. I confirmed this when I happened to see another longhorn at a LFS. on a side note, Petco only wanted 30 bucks or so. Theirs was not nearly the quality, having terrible "horns" and was a good 30% smaller, but I paid twice that, so its a trade off. The eel has yet to mess with the mandarin, but the mandarin is also smart enough to give it a large birth.

The eel has overstayed his welcome however. Today he ate our cleaner shrimp, Jacques, brining the total body count to 3 (plus or minus any missing crabs). I will likely rehome him later this week when I have some time. to accommodate for the change, I adjust the rock again. I did a good deep clean, shifting all the rock and removing any excess debris/waste. I also did about a 20% water change, removing some of the tank water. This should reduce my salinity in the tank a bit. I was doing the water changes weekly with evaporation, but in some cases the salinity of the tank would get just a littler higher than I would have liked before adding the fresh water. My tank is tall opposed to long and the difference in rock-scaping is pretty cool. I made it in more of a line of XXXX s instead of a hollow hill. it makes the tank look much longer than it is.

Back