6.6 gal. Home made

JBReef

Reefing newb
Well, I have a spare 24" T-5 fixture sitting around and really wanted to build a mini tank. I didn't want to have to buy a new light so I decided to do a (24"x8"x8") tank.
Little did I know how expensive it would be to order a 6.6 gal. custom tank. ($105 from a place that makes cages out of glass)

So... I'v decided to build my owne. I'm making it out of 1/4 glass with DAP 100% silicone. I'm going to build a wooden guide to hold everything in place wile glueing (instead of the taping method).

If anyone here has any experience in building a tank or any glass working tips, please feel free to teach me a thing or two.

Thanks "and I'll make sure to take lots of pics".
-Josh

My best advice is to buy your glass precut and have the edges done. Glass is easy to cut but the smoothing of the edges can be a PITA or fingers how ever you want to look at it.

I didn't mention it, but yes I did have all my glass precut and the edges were done.
I ordered them around 1:30 this after noon and he called me about 3:30 and my order was ready!!!

Gota love good service!

Oh yeah another thing is to use masking tape to line you silicone joints. Remove promptly after smoothing your silicone. I personally like the way the black silicone looks but that is just an asthetics call.

Is there anything special you need done to the edges, or just flat / ground? And how do you line them up in the corner? - edge-to-edge?

Well it's together. pics are loading. Now all I can do is wait. 48 Hours befor water testing..... I don't think I'll make it.

When they say "get the edges done" it means take off the sharp edge. not really bevoling but taking off the tips.

Well..... here it is. I built it at my rents house cause my old mans got a gurage with everything you need to build anything (lucky!)

The little jig,
Picture083.jpg

Thank god it fits!!..... I mean..... My cuts were exact.
Picture087.jpg

It's great that he cut them right away for me but.....SQUARE WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE!
Picture099.jpg

And we have the box.....
Picture105.jpg

The false wall was clear, but I scratched it, so I sanded it with a digrinder.
Picture109.jpg

It's all coming together.
Picture115.jpg

I painted the back side and portion of the front
Picture119.jpg

And here we have it. A little disapointed at the front right corner but I wont notice it once it's full of corals.
Picture122.jpg

Well thats all for now. If you wana see all the steps, the pictures are in my photo bucket http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj130/JBoisvert923/?special_track=nav_tab_my_albums so feel free to look around.

It hasn't held water yet cause it says to wait 48 hours. I kinda wish I had waited to paint but excitment got the best of me.

So let me know what you think.

-Josh

Oh... and I can't forget the supporting cast members.....(my wifes gono be pissed I put this on.) This is my mom and my wife (at 39 weeks)
Picture085.jpg

And the guard dog
Picture108.jpg

im jealous. only because it looks like a really fun project. i love doing stuff like that. ill be interested to see the updates!

I'v been wanting to do a complete DIY project for a long time. I'v done sumps and stuff like that, but I always wanted more. I'll be excited to see it hold water on monday.

As for making it LOOK easy. The project went prity smooth, the only major set back was puting on the sides and relizing that they wernt perfectly square, but we made do.

Well, monday after work will be the big test day, as long as my wife doesn't go into labor. So it there's no updates by monday night I probly wont get to it for a little wile, but I will be back once we get home from the hospital and setteld in.
Thanks for checking in-

Ha, I wish, but if you saw that front right corner up close you would buy one!

My next DIY(dont tell my wife) will have more expierence behind it.

The maintenence man won't be able to see a 6 foot tank.... Hell you'll have to keep the blinds closed anyways to keep the sunlight out :mrgreen:

Its funny when I pull into the parking lot at night. The light from my 20 gal. in my (soon to arive) doughters room glows so bright. I'm suprised the cops havn't showed up yet to "check out the sceen"

Back