6 foot tank

RyanG

Reef enthusiast
Ok Alto against my better judgement Im going to start this thread:

What is the largest volume tank that has a six foot long footprint that wont force me to use metal halide lighting? Im starting to actually plan out my reef and area of the new house to put it. My girlfriend Janell, has alloted me only 6 ft of wall space and I would like to maximize it. Also I will only be using a glass aquarium too many horror stories with acrylic. Also should I buy a "reef ready" or have it drilled after purchase. Corner or center overflows and the like, just collecting oppinions.

Glad you started this. I am sure you will be thankful for it. At this time I have no knowledge of anything you have asked. Biff and Reef are usually on pretty late to give you a hand.

Ok using the dimensions from that link, what are my lighting options with a 25" depth tank vs 31". And if i went with the tall(180) do you think that an 18" width would be sufficient? Seems narrow to me? what about the overflows?

if your going to do a reef and are concerned with lighting I would go with a 180 like mine... not tall. its 24 wide instead and if you don't want mh lighting it will be better because a taller tank will require more light penetration to reach the bottom

So far the 180 wide (72x24x25) is winning out, I could really uses some input on reef ready vs custom and locations

It seems on that site they use glass overflors? That would look kind of wierd seeing the water dropping and mixing in the overflows in your tank... Most are flat black plastic overflows. There prices dont seem that great with the RR option, a 125 that i am interested in is 500 drilled. Fosters and smith has them for around 3 something. I would say a 180 is a good choice, anything deeper and you will need MH's. Even though its probably not much more expensive... A good set of 6 foot long T5's is right around 500-1000$ anyway. So keep that in mind.

a 180 is the best bet IMO. T-5 lighting will do fine for SPS corals at the top and LPS placed where their individual lighting needs are set. Leathers, shrooms, zoas near the bottom since they do not have such intense lighting needs. You want to go with 24" in width, that way, you can keep a big fish in there that needs room to turn around, like a Queen angel, Vlamingi Sailfin, or Sohal Tang.

Decide what you want for corals before getting lights. A safe bet are T-5s.

-Doc

Here are some large 6 ft tanks.

A 180g has the perfect dimension without having to run MH.Its not to deep and plenty wide to aquascape and have plenty of sand space for corals.The dimension is 72x24x24.I have a 210g. thats 29'' deep and have no problems keeping corals on the sandbed under T5.Now I wouldn't put SPS corals on the sand but everything else will be fine.Go with corner overflows if all possible.It will make it easier to place the rocks.

Aqueon(All-Glass)180g-210g megaflows
Oceanic 178g-215g Ultimate reef ready

Perfecto makes them as well up to 220g I believe.Lionfish has one of them,me thinks.If you want the best built,best warranty and price isn't an issue than I would go with an Oceanic.

Ok I have done some price checking today and unfortunately Reef Oceanics are not available in my area, at least I havent found a dealer.

I have found :
AGA 180 wide for 530<basic> and 600 for reef ready
Perfecto for 540 basic and 600 reef ready

Each store that I looked had the prices reversed on each brand, my regular guy has the AGA cheaper and would like to be a loyal customer if there isnt a major difference if any in quality.

Should I get the reef ready or basic and which brand is best?

Ok while Alto has me going what should I go for lights with this set up, I could do MH if that is the best option to keep coral anenomes and the like. Ive seen 72 inch fixture with 5 MH bulb but I think that a combo of MH and PC or T5 would be great. Id like to have the sunrise/sunset option and also want actinics for the "pop". Reef you seem to be the lighting god can you give me a hand and everyone else for that matter. I promise Ill write it down so that you wont have to repost Reef. Actually started a planning journal today wohoo...im an organization freak!

Definitely go with reef ready. Especially for such a small price difference ($50 extra on a $500 tank, no doubt, do it!).

My 240 is 7 feet long, but I'm running 6 foot lights over it. It's a hanging MH/T5 combination fixture. The daylights are MH and the actinics are T5. Mine are Aquamedic brand, and are around 1200 watts total. More than what you need, but if you bought a similar type, they are great.

If you want combo lights, definitely go with MH/T5 over MH/PC.

Whats wattage bulbs would be best for the MH set up with a 24" deep tank 150,250 or 400. I would like to be able to keep whatever my heart desires.

Back