6 foot tank

Personally,I would go 7-8 banks of T5(because I love T5)instead of MH.The Aquactinic Constellation 14x39w T5-HO fixture is the best choice price and quality wise.It is around $1200 with bulbs.

Now if you still want MH then go with a MH/T5 combo.I would avoid Ebay and Aquatraders,these lights cost big bucks.Its better to go with a known company with a real warranty...just my 2cents.

I got my tank and stand using Christmas money and I hadn't researched much at that time, boy did I spend more than I thought. I am over $1,000 and all I have is 2 fish and some snails/hermits

I think I might take reefs suggestion on the Constellation, I though you had to have a min 8wpg to keep anenomes but my tank will be 30 gal less than what he uses and he keeps them i think

Im a lighting village idiot I dont have a clue, Ive tried three different fixture on my planted tank by listening to other people without a clue and dont want to have that experience again, being as Reef is the reigning lighting guru Ill just do exactly as he tells me. You know what the nice thing about an idiot is? Every village wants one. Haha <quote of the night from House>

Yote is right, you get more bang for your buck, wattage wise, with T5s. The watts per gallon "rules" don't really apply for T5s. On my old 55, I had around 4 watts per gallon of T5s and kept an anemone and SPS corals. That would not have been enough light had I had any other type of lighting though.

Alright Ive got a spare 40ish gal tank that Im going to use for a sump/fuge. So we might as well keep planning my build what should I use for a skimmer and a return pump? Also any other good equiptment I should have. What do you guys think about a closed loop system instead of powerhead for flow or will I still have to use them?

A 40 would make a great sump/fuge.Plenty of room to work with.
As for closed loop systems.There great and offer great water flow without the clutter of the powerheads.But then if something was to happen to the pump,you'b be without flow untill you got the problem sorted out,JMO.
For a skimmer on a 72" tank,I'd go something like the Octopus skimmers.I'd say one that can be set to operate outside the sump.
For a return pump,I would go with something along the lines of a Mag 12 or 18 You can always cut the flow down with a ball valve,but its hard to make the pump push more.

They use a higher wattage ballast to over drive the bulbs.Basically turning a 54 watt light into an 80 watt light.
Some people like em.I personally think it just burns the bulbs out quicker.

Do I have to buy a ballast to go along with the Aquatinics? I have virtually no knowledge of good lighting systems.

The ballast is built into the Aquactinics.

Overdriven(T5-VHO) are even better.They do have special ballast to over drive a T5-HO bulb which cuts the life span of the bulb about 1/3(so I hear).Many company now make T5-VHO bulbs that don't have that problem.

One other thing,watts per gallon doesn't appply well with T5-HO bulbs.They have more PAR(photosynthetic active radiation) per watt than even MH depending on the bulb manufacturer.All you need to know about PAR is that its the light corals,anemones,clams and anything else that needs it.

Thanks Reef for all of the great lighting advice, Ill hit you up again when it comes time to order, for a bulb selection.

Should I go for a larger size skimmer than the actual tank Im going to use, looked at a couple:

Standard Skimmers Rated For 60 To 200 Gallons - Octopus Model 150 Needle Wheel Recirculating Protein Skimmer D&T Aquarium Supplies Aquarium supplies for reef, saltwater, freshwater and ponds at discounted prices.

Standard Skimmers Rated For Over 200 Gallons - Octopus Model 200 Needle Wheel Recirculating Protein Skimmer D&T Aquarium Supplies Aquarium supplies for reef, saltwater, freshwater and ponds at discounted prices.

Guess what Im asking is should I overkill or go with what the skimmers rated for

You're probably right but now my palms are itching and my mouth is salavating, thanks for helping me lose more sleep Matt not that I get any anyway. Come on and help make some decisions now that you started this storm, now isnt the time for cheerleading. Haha JK

Go with the 200 recirculating model.Thats not way oversize and recirculating needlewheels suppose to be awesome.I forget what is the difference in size.Make sure you have the space and clearance for it.

Well Im going to build a custum walnut or mahogany stand<Uncles a cabinet maker,finish carpenter>. What do you think about building a little taller than normal, just so that the tank is a little closer to eye level so you're not all humped up when looking into it. I know that it will make it more difficult for maintenace do you think its more trouble than its worth, It would also raise the center of gravity higher too risky?

Also what kind of pump are they talking about with that skimmer an air pump to a water pump, never had a skimmer.

Height of the stand is up too you.It will allow you put a taller skimmer under the stand.Yep,you may have to stand on a chair to do maintenance but you can handle it.I forgot those recirculating needs a feed pump.A pump to bring water to the skimmer and return it to the sump.Maybe Biff knows more,I believe she has a similar Octopus skimmer.

Back