6 month mark fast approaching

kevinsimons

Reefing newb
You guys have been amazing - and all is going very well. With only one exception (and that fish arrived already sick), I've essentially had no fatalities, and everything is happy and growing (the Xenia is 5 times bigger than it was when it went in last June).

Now, as I approach the 6 month mark, I realize I'm going into a new phase with the equipment and tank - is the 6 month mark when it's time to replace the lights - and what about the RO/DI filters? (I've got a Kent Maxxima R 35GPD).

I go through about 5 gallons per week. The clear canister is starting to discolor. I fired an email off to tech support @ Kent Marine to see what they say - but would love to hear from yins.

RODI filters generally need to be replaced once a year. But you will know for sure that they need replacing by testing the TDS. If you don't have a TDS meter, you will need to get one. They are cheap on Ebay, I got mine for $25.

As for T5 lights, they need to be replaced about once a year.

I've heard that 12 to 18 months life on T-5 bulbs.My bulbs are going on 8 months old right now.
Heard 6 months on RO cartridges,But like Biff suggested,test it with a TDS meter before you buy new cartridges.

My RO says to replace the membrane after so many gallons. Then change the filters after so many month. Can't remember the time frame. It's in the instructions that came with the unit. I'm just to lazy to go get it. But like Biff said test it with a TDS meter and you'll know.

Back