60 Gal w/ 36 Gal Sump & Stand.

UPDATE!

I got called into work yesterday to help Terry, one of my bosses, hold some plastic he was trying to bond, and thought, I hold this little stuff for you, how about you hold this big stuff for me. We cut the new pieces I needed to fit the sides and bottom of the tank. We dry fit it together and everything fit prefectly. (that's what happens when you get someone with 20+ years experience to cut the glass. :mrgreen:) All that is left to do is silicone the bottom trim on. I know I should have done it before but we both had a wedding to get ready for and 2 wives that had both called wondering where we were.
The tank and the sump/refugium are now built.

Mind you I haven't water tested these yet. I have to wait until I get the garage cleaned out so I can put them on the floor.

Now all that is left to build is the stand and the plumbing.

Attachments

• all laid out.jpg
    all laid out.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 296
  • boss holding it for me.jpg
    boss holding it for me.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 288
  • put the camera down and hand me some tape.jpg
    put the camera down and hand me some tape.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 291
  • last piece going in place.jpg
    last piece going in place.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 287
  • all put together.jpg
    all put together.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 295
  • height.jpg
    height.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 329
  • width.jpg
    width.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 274
  • length.jpg
    length.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 293
  • completed.jpg
    completed.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 283
  • last chaulking line.jpg
    last chaulking line.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 309
Awesome thread so far! I have always thought about building my own LARGE tank. like instead of paying out the ass for an 8 foot tank, why not put it all together myself. Then again I may need to build some 10 gallons like you first for practice :) Glad you got the tank all put together. Im sure it will be rewarding to finally get that thing wet and setup.

Any plans for the tank when you actually get it setup? Lighting, livestock?

Awesome thread so far! I have always thought about building my own LARGE tank. like instead of paying out the ass for an 8 foot tank, why not put it all together myself. Then again I may need to build some 10 gallons like you first for practice :) Glad you got the tank all put together. Im sure it will be rewarding to finally get that thing wet and setup.

Thank you. I figure it's my first complete build on everything so I might as well share it. Hope it doesn't get too boring near the end. I looked into doing a 180 gallon, but I would have to order the glass and that was going to set me back $500, plus the trim at another $180, I figured I could do this one of that. When we buy a new bigger house I might look into it. As long as I don't have to order the glass, or use a full sheet I don't have to pay for it, so they are really cheap for me to build, and they are easy.

Any plans for the tank when you actually get it setup? Lighting, livestock?

Black light and goldfish....LOL. I went to a wedding last night and that's what they gave for favours. Then the bride tells me she doesn't have anyplace to put them so I ended up taking over 30 goldfish in little bowls home. Good thing I put a 15 gal. together last week. I'll throw them in the pond next spring.

I'm not really sure what fish I'm going to put in it yet as I found a fish store that made me go, I want!! I want!! I want!! I want!! I think I might left the wife choose what goes in it. (As long as they can live together.) I found a compatiblity chart, but half the fish I have no idea what they are. Marine Compatability Chart
We have a while after I get it wet to figure that out. I know she wants some clowns, and flame angels. I still have a lot of reading to do on that part.

The lighting I was thinking on going with a custom made hood, part of the stand, with 4 t5HO to start. I'm going to make it big enough to have 6 in total, but money is kinda tight on the buying equipment part. The light that I really want is $1300.

Thanks again for watching.

I think I'm gonna send a link from this thread to discovery so they can use it for one those "How It's Made" shows :shock:...that would be awesome

I think I'm gonna send a link from this thread to discovery so they can use it for one those "How It's Made" shows :shock:...that would be awesome

Then everyone would know how make them and the aquarium companys would go out of business. LOL.

Wow! You got that accomplished very quickly, Grassman. Congrats!

Thank you. My wife and I brought the sump home & I'm almost finished the leak test. I have a minor leak in the chamber beside the dsb where the water enters. Should be easy to fix once I get it dried out.

Leak test of the sump is complete. Another photo. I siliconed the bottom trim on the main tank today, and should get it home tomorrow. Tuesday I will leak test it. Anyone want to comment on how long I should leave it full? I left the 35 for 3 days full.

Attachments

• leak test.jpg
    leak test.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 318
If you dont mind me asking where do you find the trim at.....I had to search for a sump that would fit my cabnet and thought of building one but I dont trust my build without the trim for support....
Great thread by the way

If you dont mind me asking where do you find the trim at.....I had to search for a sump that would fit my cabnet and thought of building one but I dont trust my build without the trim for support....
Great thread by the way

Aquarium Services. They special ordered it. It's the Canadian company for Big Al's. There is a place in Michigan that sells them. I have it in my favs on the other computer. I'll send it to you when I'm on it.

very nice, makes me wanna start on a custom sump for my tank... with all i learned retrofitting the one i have now, and seeing how well yours came out, it makes me think i "might" have a shot at building one and having it work.. gotta call my glass guy and just see what it would cost....

that tank looks good the sump even better good job

Thank you. I found a leak in it when I went to empty it. As long as it had weight on it it didn't leak but as soon as I had about a half inch of water in it it leaked. No big deal. I know where it is so it should be an easy fix.

Great build thread Grassman! Can't wait till you get that tank wet!

Catherine

Thanks Caterine.

I can't wait either, but I have to build a stand first, and then save money for sand and rock. I'm getting a deal on the rock as long as I order it when my buddy at the fish store orders his. He's going to give it to me at cost. It may be after Christmas before that happens unless someone buys all my breeding tanks and my main 35 freshwater setup.

very nice, makes me wanna start on a custom sump for my tank... with all i learned retrofitting the one i have now, and seeing how well yours came out, it makes me think i "might" have a shot at building one and having it work.. gotta call my glass guy and just see what it would cost....

Thank you. Too bad I wasn't your glass man. I'd give it to you for free.:mrgreen:

you can be my glass guy if you wanna, but me thinks shipping from way up there to way down here might pose an issue or two.

Back