60 Gallon build in the works

Aqua Boy

Reefing newb
It's been quite some time now since I last posted in this forum but thought I would get back in and see how things are going.

My fiance and I just bought a nice newer home near the beach in Port Hueneme, California and thought "what's better than the beach nearby"? Setting up a beach in our house!!!...or at least part of it...LOL.

Here is the plan so far...

60 Gallon Cube
150 Watt MH Pendant (Planning to go LED)
ASM Mini-G Skimmer
Rio 14HF Pumps
20 Gallon Sump

I know not all of this is the best of equipment, but it will do. I have it all plumbed and ready to go...

Will post pics of what is going on so far and throught the process. I still want to clean up the hoses and cords so it is very clean looking.

What stage are you at at this point? Is the tank full or is this the beginning? :-)

Sounds really cool. Looking forward.

And here are some of the early pictures....

Once I get it cleaned-up I'll begin to fill and cycle. Just in case someone asks, this tank belonged to my buddy who closed his office he had it in. He gave me the tank, sump, light and cabinet free. The plumbing was in bad shape so I just went with new pumps, hoses, and skimmer. I removed the fittings and replaced the gaskets and then retaped the threads....getting there and can't wait!!!

Aquarium018.jpg

Aquarium016.jpg

Aquarium011.jpg

Aquarium009.jpg

Aquarium010.jpg

Last edited:
Dang, that is a nice set up!

Thanks! Not bad for mostly free huh??? :bounce:

I was able to pick up the skimmer for $85 shipped on ebay and the pumps for $115 shipped. At the LFS it woulda cost me about $300 for them together. The new fitting gaskets were $10, $40 for swing checks, and $20 for new hose. I am in it for about $270 right now plus a bit of elbow grease and patience. I was going to repaint the cabinet but I kinda like the wear look it now has, although it is just slight. I will need to replace the bulb soon though after I cycle it.

Also, I want to add since it may not be obvoius in the sump pic that I am running two Rio 14HF pumps with inline swing checks. That should give me about 1400gph of flow based on the head rise.

I am going to try to knock off the remaining hunk of putty that is attached to the overflow wall in the back to get it a bit cleaner. If not it doesn't matter since it will be covered again anyway. This weekend it should be ready to go.

I am not yet sure what stock I will be going with....

Back