60 Gallon set-up ROUND 2!!!! HELLLLLP!!!!!

FNG44601

Reefing newb
Hello Everyone- bear with me I got some sH*# on my mind. We set up a 60g tank. At first no substrate no rock JUST WATER. Mixed the salt, and from there was just going to let the sump mix it. Remove it then add the LS and LR. The water was cloudy from the start. I scratched it, hired a guy to come set it up- Having a "professional" do it, I went ahead and ordered 60 lbs of LS and 120 lbs of LR to be delivered next week. Again just allowing time for things to settle- test the equip etc.... So the so called professional had me buy like 20 lbs of argonite just to cover the bottom and 10 lbs of live rock.
It looked like it was going to finally be solved and five days later the water looks like a cloud is in the aquarium.
I guess one thing I did see was when I was removing the water from the Aquarium the 1st time (using the submersible pump from the sump) I noticed that when it ran low- this saltlike or maybe micro bubble type garbage would flow- but even then after a while it cleared up.
Keep in mind please, there's no livestock in the tank- only the 2 rocks:frustrat:
The even more frustrating part of it, is we now live in a little bitty farmer town. I have socks older than the kids working @ the pet store!!! So I'm usually bringing supplies and what not home when I come home. Hence, the no faith in the "professional".
All the parameters are in, S.G. is 1.024
Thanks for whatever help you can give!

Is the cloudy look from micro-bubbles or from sand dust?
Double check every thing and make sure your not getting any bubbles.
Was the sand,Live sand or dry? If it was dry,was it rinsed out?
If its dust from the sand,then some type of mechanical filter should clear it up.

The sand was rinsed throughly- I watched him do that. And it was clear for 5 days- so I don't get why it would wait so long to act up ya know? It almost looks as if the water is Super saturated- but it's not S.G. 1.023
Thanks - have a pic my wife sent but unfortunately it's a jpg. :frustrat:

Could be either a bacteria or an algae bloom.
What type of lights are you running,and how long are they on?
Have you tested the parameters?

we haven't even got that far!!!!!!! we were waiting on the big stuff to arrive the LS & LR. we were literally just testing the system. So mainly daylight and a blue led @ night on the 2 pieces of LR- per the tank guy-
And btw I appreciate you checkin on me and getting back so quickly! WOW people really do care!:bowdown:

Hey,Thats what were all about on this site.We enjoy helping where we can.:Cheers:

As for your problem,I'm lost as to whats causing it.
But I think I would pick up a test kit and see what the parameters are.

hey have a test kit- just need a wife who'll use it!!!! I'm OOT on business- so I'm just tryin to get a game plan for when I hit the house! And thank you Biff Ma'am! ;)

Nothing,go ahead and add the live rock/sand when it arrives.Eventually the bacteria thats in the water column will settle and attach to the rocks,sand and glass eventually.

If you don't have any animals in there (which you don't) a bacterial bloom isn't going to harm anything. If you did have animals, the bacteria would compete for oxygen and your animals would end up suffocating. The bacteria will die off and come into balance eventually. But don't give up all hope yet!

u guys are awesome! when i hit the house i'll get the paramaters of the water before i add the sand and rocks, and wait a day or two and get the parameters then. So hopefully I'll have good news to report!

I do not believe you mentioned what kind of filters your are running at present. It is not uncommon for a freshly set up system to be cloudy for a while. With proper filtration the water collum will eventually clear as the system passes through the initial shock of setup and the salt water ages a bit. good luck keep us posted.

for filtration we have a 20 gallon sump, w/3 gallons of bio-balls. we were literally just testing the system, and BOOM!!!!! just when we thought we were in the clear- this. Now our sump is equipped with baffles for other media, but didn't think it was necessary to put the phosphate pads, and Activated Carbon. The protein skimmer will arrive with the sand n rocks! I'm on Ebay RIGHT NOW looking for a canister filter as well- any suggestions?

Skip the canister filter. If you have a good protein skimmer, a canister filter will be unnecessary. Unless you are religious about cleaning it, canisters can lead to nitrate and algae problems. In my opinion, the only thing they are good for is to occasionally run media such as carbon or phosphate removers through, but not for continuous use of anything.

I've never heard much about the Odyssea protein skimmers. I have heard about their lights though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

I've read a very long thread on Reef Central on those skimmers.For the most part it had mixed reviews.They are super cheap for a skimmer,give it a try.

Back