60g bean animal overflow help

delucs414

Reefing newb
hey all,

so a couple days ago i got a free 60 gallon setup from my cousin who moved out of town and couldnt take it with him, so he gave it to me. its a 36Lx21Hx18.5W 60 gallon freshwater oceanic systems aquarium and stand. its still in really good shape.:D

i plan to turn this tank into my new reef tank.:bounce::^: i want to drill the tank for a Bean Animal Drain system with a coast to coast overflow. i looked to see if it had any stickers saying if it was tempered glass, nothing. all i found was a sticker saying Mar 29, 2001, guess ill have to make a call.

BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System

this is what i want, 3-1 inch bulkheads with 1.5" down plumbing.

my questions are:
1) has anyone had this/built this overflows systems? any feedback?
2)it says it can "easily handle 2000 GPH" do u think 2000 GPH is to much for a 60g?
3)what kind of return pump? 2000GPH or less GPH so i can dial the overflow down?
4)last question, for the coast to coast i plan to use acrylic(not sure what size yet) but the home depot i town doesnt carry any black acrylic. is there any paint i can use to paint the inside of the overflow box?

thanks for the help

1) I have the Herbie setup which is basically one less pipe than the Bean. Absolutely go for it. It's the best overflow system design ever.

2) Don't worry about the max. You can use the gate valve on the main drain pipe to dial in whatever flow you need for your tank. It's all going to depend on the flow rate of your return pump.

3) I like Eheim pumps. Try the 1260 or 1262. The latter is rated at 900gph max. I use that one on my 130 so you probably wouldn't need one that strong. The 1260 should be more than enough. Great pump. Quiet and lasts forever.

4) Krylon Fusion is reef safe. Look online or check your yellow pages for plastic suppliers and try to find the black stuff. Better in the long run. We have one here that lets you rummage through the scrap bin and you can find some pretty big pieces in there.

+1 mini
like mini said it doesnt matter what your overflow max is because it will only flow at whatever your return pump is putting into our tank,so 500 gph pump will get you 500 gph to your overflows,i am only running 600 gph on my 75

Back