65g Tank on craigs list...good/bad?

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
It's a 65g tank w/ stand and wooden hood to concel the light for $150. Is this worth the price?

3oe3p93l65P85P45Pfa1cf6b1560a54ba16b6.jpg

Looks like its a FW system. What else does it come with? If you like the woody look, then its a good deal for the stand tank and hood alone, but if they throw in filters and stuff, even better.

It's not a bad deal, but consider that you will have to drill the tank for overflows, and modify the hood for lights. You may hold out for a SW ready setup. Also, I just upgraded from a 75 because I was so tired of being told that my tank was too small for the livestock I wanted. GO BIG! :)

It's not a bad deal, but consider that you will have to drill the tank for overflows, and modify the hood for lights. You may hold out for a SW ready setup. Also, I just upgraded from a 75 because I was so tired of being told that my tank was too small for the livestock I wanted. GO BIG! :)

I'd like to go big, but can't afford the upgrade on equipment, lr, etc. I just spent $395 on lights and they'll fit perfect on that 65. I already have a CPR overflow for my refugium now so I don't need to drill the tank, althought it would be nice to have it drilled. I can alway drill it myself...I'm not afraid of it. I'm not really into the fish aspect so much. I really like the inverts and corals. I've been looking at larger tank for a few months now. People in my area just want so much for used tanks. If its a SW setup...forget about it. You're talking $500-$4,000 range.

Looks like its a FW system. What else does it come with? If you like the woody look, then its a good deal for the stand tank and hood alone, but if they throw in filters and stuff, even better.

Yes, the people used it as a FW system. It comes w/ all the FW supplies, but I have no need for it. I don't mind the look of the wood as my house is all wood and it will match perfect. I can always paint if need be.

Last edited:
Well all things considered, it sounds like it will work for what you want. Looks nice too, so I say get it. The price is right!

The only thing that I would be concerned about would be making sure to clean the heck out of it before you set it up. I have heard from people that used a old fresh tank and didnt clean it well and had problems due to fresh water meds. However with a good scrub down with a vinegar and water solution and ditch everything else that might be in the tank then I would say go for it good find.

The only thing that I would be concerned about would be making sure to clean the heck out of it before you set it up. I have heard from people that used a old fresh tank and didnt clean it well and had problems due to fresh water meds. However with a good scrub down with a vinegar and water solution and ditch everything else that might be in the tank then I would say go for it good find.
That's a good point. You should ask them about any meds that they have used in the tank so you will know what you are up against.

I'm waiting to hear back about any chemical treatments they may have uses. I specifically asked about copper based products. They also said they'd be willing to adjust the price if I pick it up. I'm thinking around $100 and I'll take it.

Update: The woman said they have used meds on the tank and she's sure some of them were copper based. They haven't used any meds in 2+ years. Will this present an issues?

Thanks for all your help. I'm going to send a down payment for the tank today and pick it up next weekend. I'm hoping for another easy tank upgrade. :bowdown:

Back