72 Oceanic bowfront glass busted

greddy09sc

Reefing newb
I have a 72 Oceanic bowfront. The glass on the Oceanic stand is busted. Can it be replaced or do i need to buy an entire stand? I google and now luck.
If glass is replaceable, have any idea on what it is gonna cost? over / under $100?

what do you mean the glass on the stand busted? also how old is the tank? is it still under warranty?

The glass door on the stand is broken. I bought it used. Can i still use the warranty?

I was carrying it and the door swung open and busted. Kinda weird but it did.

I called local fish store and lucky me. They had one. It's from a bad stand due to water leakage, but they kept the glass door for people like me :).

$50 he quoted me. Sounds like a deal to me.

He mentioned that it is very common because those door are so fragile. So for those with oceanic stands. Take it easy on those doors. They can break easily, just by swinging open too hard.

Sounds more like he's trying to get rich off the doors to me.
A glass shop probably wouldnt charge you 20 bucks to cut a piece of glass for the door.

I'm with Yote. Is this just plain window glass that's in a wood frame door? It would be worth at least checking with another store. My experience over the years has been that replacement glass is very cheap if it is just standard glass like you might find in a book case for example. In this area at least most local hardware stores provide such service. They can proably quote you on the phone if you call with the dimensions.

On the other hand if the glass in your stand is "special" like tempered, tinted, curved or has hinges or handles drilled right into the glass that's another story. It's probably worth the $ 50 bucks then.

I called Binswanger glass and they quoted me $46.11 to cut that glass. Reason being is it is a dark (black) glass and it's tempered.

With that, i rather just pay $50 and get the original.

Back