72g bow

Orange plate coral
20131110_092403.jpg

do you dose the tank with anything? I can't get anything to grow in my tank, granite it's only been up 3 months but I am blaming the T5's, won't grow anything but bleaches everything!!!!

I dose 80 mls of the 2 part alk per week and cal is 5 mls. I blame the growth on a sweet mp40 and a really sweet apex;-). I feed limpets to the tank and spot feed 1x per week. Other than that, nothing. I heard..... rumor mill hear..... that once the tank hits a year, 18 months, that everything takes off for some magical reason. I believe that t5's are great, Kessil to have a shadow effect on corals even the wide lenses and they do have a... lack of better terms, a shade side.

lol...I still have an apex and keep the PH/salinity/temp stable, I need to get another vortech but it always seemed to be blasting everything

I don't dose alk or calcium so I believe that is why my corals are not growing to my liking...I do however finally have coralline growing on things which is a good sign of maturity

I have all ATI bulbs, 3 Blue plus, 1 Actinic, 1 purple plus and a coral plus at about 11 inches off the surface...my zoas are reaching but acans, chalice and candy cane all want to bleach

? To much lighting for to long? Lps is low lighting 10k, to much k? Are you at 16 to 20k?
The only reason I dose is b/c of sps. That stuff is really takes up. 2 4G w/c per week is my cycle I guess. I forgot, I do dose strontium @2.5mls per week for clams at total water volume of 120g. I have noticed harder corals with it like when I do clean the dt, I tend to break stuff. Check out the clams!
1392249540256.jpg

I only run all 6 bulbs from 11:30 to 16:00 and then blues from 9:30 to 18:30...maybe too much light but that's why I hung the light instead of on the surface with the pegs, when I move in 4 months I will be running a dosing system and LED's over it

I do weekly 10G WC's and the calcium stays consistent at 440 and KH at 10

I honestly would wait on dosing unless you have a full tank already. The corals don't need it until w/c isn't enough. Leds are nice for the programming ramp ups and downs and less heat, but in the north like we are, I haven't hit high temp yet.

I am moving to Montana so I won't have to deal with that either...oh an I am doing a in wall build with a 120 or 90G!!! should be fun as I am going to hard plumb everything through a closet in a separate room

I can't wait...I am going to start dosing the new system in Montana from the get go just to have stable levels

Imho, dosing is the way to go. I'm scared of cal. Reactors. I've seen some huge fails with the pumps failing or not stopping and over shooting alk. If you are there 24/7 I suppose it would be a safer bet. Dosing pumps are the way to go when in operation with a controller.

Montana? New job for the hubby? Is there any lfs in the state? All I can think of Montana is mountains. An old man told me from montana once, the only use for a hand gun is to get me back to my rifle.... very vast lonely area. Hopefully your near a half way decent city.

Back