75 Gallon Slight Gaps Between Tank and Stand

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
I have an oceanic 75 gallon and stand that I purchased from craigslist. It is several years old but in good condition overall. It was used for several years in a dentist office and the dentist sold it because he was upgrading to a corner type tank.

Anyways, I've noticed when placing it on the stand that there are some small gaps on 3 of the corners. They are just large enough to slide a card the thickness of a credit card (without raised numbers) under. Now the tank technically is on the "wrong" way (the oceanic symbol is facing the rear). I drilled the "front" because it had more scratches than the "back." So I tried to flip the tank around on the stand to the "front" and it fixes all the other gaps except for the right one gets even bigger, so it's actually better on the other way.

So I'm wondering what's the best way to fix this. I've been told shimming is a no no because it can cause stress points on the tank and stand, I've heard foam but some people say no, I've heard plywood is good for fixing this, and some people say just fix the stand. I know this a common occurence when people make homemade stands using 2x4s (typical warped wood) and I can understand how after years the stand will warp and change some, but I can't Really if I'm going to fix the stand I might as well build a new one, which I would like to avoid if possible. Anyways, what is the solution that is safe but not incredibly difficult.

As you can see, this is an empty tank:

IMAG1343.jpg

Also you know I was thinking maybe when all the water was drained, this was being stored in a garage for a couple of months and it's changed temps since then (it was really cold and now it's hot) Maybe the middle bowed up a little, it's hard to tell but I guess I could take a long level and see if there are gaps also. If that's the case, wouldn't the weight of the tank might push the wood back into place, but I guess foam or plywood might help then. Anyways, feel free to give any tips...

Oh ok, yeah I was thinking so too. Any other opinions?

Btw Big K, I see you live in Nashville. I just moved from Cookeville up here to the twin cities area.

I agree the weight from the water will probably close the gaps, you might want to make sure the stand is level and shim it if necessary. But with such a small gap it probably won't matter.

Alright thanks guys! Yeah I got a long level and put it across and as I assumed, the center was bowed up a tiny bit.

Back