75 going Downhill quickly

Cathic

Fish Wrangler
Been having a string of bad luck or juju here lately. Seeking opinions for the problems.

So here is the story, I've just been maintaining the tank lately nothing out of the ordinary, water changes every 2 weeks no new additions etc. Then I started to have some bad algae growth, not hair algae, but i do have what appears to be brown algae growing on the sand, also, I have the green algae that covers the tank glass but grows like coraline. The issue used to be manageable with the green algae and scraping the glass used to keep it clean for at least a week or so before it started growing again. Lately its been every 3 or 4 days of rapid growth. Just recently I lost one fish, followed by some coral recession on my Blasto's (which were growing and producing new heads) the new heads have now gone leaving the skeletons with the parent head still opening and showing full color but not reaching their full size like ive seen during the day.

I'm not sure what else to say about it, every time I test I get the same results showing everything at 0 cept nitrates which hover under 5. I've been double checking them with an alternative test kit. Any suggestions?

Things I've tried:

Reduced light times
ran phosban and other medias off and on
waterchanges

Can you post your other Params? Cal, Alk, Mg, ph, and sg

I was having some recession on my coral and it turned out my ph and alk were WAY low.

What about the last bulb change maybe?? :? Im stumped to what it could be.

Yeah, kinda the same thing I was thinking myself. Also, the Ph and Alk being excessively low could cause this as stated above. Your Calcium and Mag wouldn't have anything to do with it, but as you know, they work in conjunction with your Alk.

What's going on Morgan?

Not sure testing ph and alk, just lost my foxface who has been sick and was vulnerable to param changes. RIP Fantastic Mr. Fox. Gonna get all those params posted now, ive been doing a water change.

dkh was 7
calcium was low at 360
phosphate read 0 (most do usually though)
ran another nitrate test waiting results.

I just had red slime go crazy in my 20G long and then I noticed that the cheato in my fuge was shrinking. Check your fuge bulb! Weak light on the fuge will cause cheato to stop growing and algae to start growing in the main tank.

I fought a long battle with nuisance algae myself, and it came down to bulb age for me. As stated, your Alk looks a little low, but not terribly so. How old are the bulbs on your tank?

Sorry to hear about Fantastic Mr Fox :(

How long are you running your MH bulbs a day? I change mine every 6 months. Normally as they start to change the algae will begin to show up.

Back