75G Re-Build

What do you think about adding LR rubble to my overflow box? I'm not sure how much flow it gets (it's drilled with a standpipe in it).

Next question: Last time I had it set up, my snails spent the daylight hours in my overflow box, and came out at night. That was OK, but I had a couple fish get into the overflow as well. I'm not so thrilled about that. Any ideas on how to keep fish out of the overflow? I've used plastic gutter guard in the past but wondering if there are better solutions.

If you go to your local large hobby chain store you can purchase an inexpensive material called "plastic canvas". It comes in round, square, whatever shapes and is used to support some kinds of sewing projects or to stitch yarn through. It looks sort of like a miniature white trellis for vines to grow in.. (a grid). That makes great snail and fish barriers, I used it plenty in my fresh water days. It also does one other wonderful thing, it grows algae well. You may be able to harvest algae off it to help improve bad chemistry elements removal.

Sorry for lack of status, been (patiently) waiting for things to happen. Here's where I stand:

On Nov 9, I added a piece of LR from my LFS as well as a piece of raw shrimp. All pumps, lights and skimmer have been running. Brown algae bloom started yesterday. Tank parameters (measured tonight) are:

SG: 1.027
pH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0.25 (peaked at 2.0 on Nov 16)
Nitrite: 2.0
Nitrate: 20
Temp: 79.7

(Parameter history and current test shown in below.)
Tank Parameters 20 Nov.jpg

I think the cycle is doing it's thing, but I'm concerned that the Ammonia didn't get as high as it should have. A couple of questions:

• Should the Ammonia gone higher?
  • Is the brown algae bloom a good thing?
  • Is it time to start adding a small clean up crew, or is too early?
Thanks in advance for any advice and help.

Back