75g Reef Start

Dantitan

Reefing newb
Here is the start of my tank. I had some photos of the empty tank, me adding substrate and rock, etc., but my wife deleted those pics off of the camera. :frustrat:

fish tank 3.jpg

fish tank 14.jpg

fish tank 16.jpg

fish tank 17.jpg

fish tank 18.jpg

So far the list is, not strictly, 2 clown fish, 1 yellow tang, 1 watchman goby, 1 mandarin goby, and 1 flame angel. Maybe a wimple fish, hawkeye, and a flaming prawn goby. Not decided on the inverts yet. Any suggestions?

Thats a great start.
When you start to add inverts,I'd suggest a couple of brittle and serpent stars along with some cleaner shrimp.Maybe a few pepperment shrimp,or even the fire shrimp.

My wife is actually pretty tickled, because one of the two LR that I have in the tank had a dwarf blue-legged hermit that had hitchhiked from the LFS. She has named him Crabby. :lol:

:lol: I will definately keep an eye on her from now on. I will be adding a Percula on wensday. Will post another pic then.

Nemo is looking good in his new home! Are you hoping that having a mannequin next to the tank will get him used to people faster? :lol:

:lol: Thats what my wife uses to sell clothes on ebay. He acclimated very well. I did it via drip over a 40 min time period. When I added him to the tank, he immediatly began swimming in the currents. I even fed him and he chased down the flakes in the currents. He actually looked happy in his new home, right off the bat. Do you think that saturday is too soon to add an arc-eye hawkfish?

Last edited:
Yeah, in the beginning leave about 3 weeks between fish additions. And you are aware that hawkfish are not reef safe, correct? They will eat inverts.

Little Nemo is staying in the bottom left corner of my tank. He is not stressing out or anything because he has good gill movement and chases down flakes that come nearby. I guess my question is: Do clowns not like a whole lot of current? I have a lot of water movement in my tank and he appears to not like it very much.

It's not that he doesn't like the current. You don't have too much current. It's that clowns are very territorial, and once they pick a spot they like, they tend to stay there.

I just figured that with all the rock work and caves and crevices, that he would have picked on of them to claim, instead of a corner. But he was exploring a little more of the tank when we returned home a few minutes ago.

I have a FlameHawk in my tank, they say to monitor them with shrimp. He never bothered my cleaner shrimp and I had a small peppermint shrimp in there too for a while. As far as I know the hawk was fine with them. I would introduce the shrimp to a safe area tho, some1 on here said their hawk ate his peppermints as soon as he threw them in! xD
Peppermints are nocturnal tho and really good at hiding, so they are on opposite sleep schedules ;)

Back