75g Reef Start

I just figured that with all the rock work and caves and crevices, that he would have picked on of them to claim, instead of a corner. But he was exploring a little more of the tank when we returned home a few minutes ago.

Whatever you think a clown "should" do, they'll do the exact opposite usually.

Clowns are very weird fish, almost mildly retarded. This won't be the last time you post something that you think is strange about Nemo...They all do weird stuff, probably where they get the name clown...WontonFlip has a clown that is hosting one of her gobies, they host powerheads, magfloats, in general they're just weird ass fish. But they're funny....Nemo looks pretty happy.

Tell your wife that she's banned from naming anymore fish...:D

Very sleek looking setup, I like! Glad to hear everythings going well for you so far. I concur with all the advice you have been given so far. I've got Living Reefs to account for 90% of what I learned about reef tanks and so far it seems to have payed off. :mrgreen:

Just an update. I was looking at my tank the other night and saw what seemed like thousands of copepods crawling all over the glass, and an ass load of amphipods crawling around the substrate and rocks. :^: Then I spotted a tiny tube worm on the last rock that I bought, and then another and another.:bounce: Do I need to supplement anything for the tubes? Also, on the front glass, I noticed little tiny things stuck to the glass that remind me of the end of a frayed rope. They are about the size of the copepods only very slightly bigger. Any ideas?

Naw.Those dont really need anything special.They'll get plenty from the water.
The others sounds like Q-Tip sponges.They are commen in new systems and will eventually go away on their own.

Drip acclimating my watchman goby and my Nass snails
fish and jazzy 001.JPG

This goby was comfortable with my tank immediately. Doesn't even scare and is actually pretty curious about its surroundings.
fish and jazzy 002.JPG

fish and jazzy 003.jpg

An update on the Spaggetti Sponge. It is growing like a weed.
fish and jazzy 005.JPG

Just another updated full tank shot.
fish and jazzy 007.JPG

I got 1 Yellow Watchman Goby and 5 Nass Snails. The snails are actually pissing me off a little. I have had them for 3 days now and all they do is climb the rocks and the glass. I got them to stir my sand bed up and none of them are interested yet. Any advice on a reef safe sand stirrer that my tank is ready for this coming weekend? Oh yeah, my wife named the goby Margarita (because of the color) :Cheers:

Looking good! You could use more live rocks though.

Thanks. I'm just taking it slow with the live rock. That way when I see a rock that I REALLY want, I will have the room to get it. I did see a piece at the LFS that I liked and I may get it this weekend. It had quite a few tiny tube worms on it. I also want to leave plenty of room for the corals when I get them.

Here is my new Large Turbo Snail that I got today to control the algae on the glass. Do you think that he will eat the Nassarius if he gets too hungry? :D
fish 8-7-10 035.JPG

My new brittle star that I got with the snail. Yes my hands are clean and free of chemicals.
fish 8-7-10 042.JPG

Here it is again.
fish 8-7-10 047.jpg

On a side note, I did find my first pest on one of the LR last week.
fish 8-7-10 002.JPG

fish 8-7-10 003.JPG

My next addition is planned for Aug. 21. I plan on getting a Yellow Tang. And I also wanted to get everyone's opinion on sand dollars. The LFS was giving them away today. I almost got one, but I new nothing about them, except that they stir the sand up. Any opinions on these creatures? :question:

Good catch on the pest starfish.

I'd have to say that our tanks wouldn't be able to provide enough food for a sand dollar and it would probably die in the matter of months. Just my opinion, not completely sure though, someone else will likely chime in.

+1 Evan, they'll go through what's living in your sandbed fairly quickly. Their diet can be supplemented but, if you can't keep up with their needs you'll lose it fairly quickly.
On the other hand, the LFS is giving it away so, it's gonna go to someone.

Why are your hands so red? Are you the devil? Hope you're not allergic to something in the tank.

Good catch on the pest starfish.

I'd have to say that our tanks wouldn't be able to provide enough food for a sand dollar and it would probably die in the matter of months. Just my opinion, not completely sure though, someone else will likely chime in.

+1 Evan, they'll go through what's living in your sandbed fairly quickly. Their diet can be supplemented but, if you can't keep up with their needs you'll lose it fairly quickly.
On the other hand, the LFS is giving it away so, it's gonna go to someone.

Thanks for the info guys. I thought as much. I initially wanted to get one for my wife, because she wanted one. Then when the LFS employee started to check to see if they were alive, she found that most of them were dead. She did find some live ones but it started to worry me a little, so I told her nevermind on the dollars until I can do more research on them.

Why are your hands so red? Are you the devil? Hope you're not allergic to something in the tank.

No, I'm not the devil. I used to be. :evil: but I quit when I got into SW fish.:mrgreen:

Is it normal for the brittle star to climb the corners of the tank instead of running around on the sand bed or finding a rock?

Cool starfish.

My nassarius snails definately love climbing the glass and then taking a tumble back to the sand. I don't think they really sift the sand stirring it up. They mostly will eat any detrius that they find lying on the sand, then bury themselves for bedtime.

Here are some of the new additions to my tank.

Feather Duster
s new 020.jpg

s new 021.jpg

Sand Sifting Starfish
s new 025.JPG

s new 026.JPG

Do I need to eventually supplement the starfish with some direct feeding? If so, what do I feed it?

Emerald Crab
s new 032.JPG

s new 033.JPG

Updated full tank shot.
s new 042.JPG

Biff, you would be happy to know that I ditched my canopys. :D If anyone has any suggestions or little tidbits that may not be commenly known, I am completely open to hear them. Thanks in advance.

Looking good! Those dusters look real nice! About the starfish, I believe people that have them place a little piece of meat beneath their disc -- like some krill or something.

I don't do anything for my sandsifting starfish....you'll barely ever see him, he'll stay buried 99% of the time...You'll see him every once in awhile.

Back