75G SW Tank HELP!

sperryx91

Reefing newb
Hey! My name is Stephen from Rhode Island, im 19 years old and i've been into Aquariums ever since i was a little one. With alot of experience in Fresh water fish tanks, i've recently decieded to upgrade my 75g tank to a Saltwater fish tank for the challenge, but have many unanswered questions. I've been doing alot of research for the past 2 weeks trying to figure out my best bet for equipment. I was hoping to keep my supplys to a minimum, just incase im forced to move around a bit due to being Active Duty US Army. I've read on another forum, by using about 1 pound of live rock for every gallon, and live sand, i can get away with just using a Protein Skimmer? (Is this true?) I feel if i have to use a sump, it will be too much of a hassle to just pick up and move with all the hoses and seperate tanks and what not. Also, with that said would i need to use anything else for filtration? I've researched the Aquac Remora Protein Skimmer online, and many people seem to apperciate it alot. would really apperciate your experience and input! Im pretty new at this Saltwater stuff :) thanks alot!

Stephen

Welcome to the site!
You may want to look into an algae scrubber. I personally don't run one, but if I'm remembering correctly you can build one just over a bucket.
https://www.livingreefs.com/mega-powerful-nitrate-and-phosphate-remover-diy-t16734.html

You may also be interested in this article
https://www.livingreefs.com/cycling-tank-adding-fish-and-corals-t26452.html

You would be fine with one pound/gallon of live rock (recommended it one to two). The rock will be your main source of filtration. I wouldn't bother with live sand. Save yourself some money and get dry, it will become live after time. You could also get a few pieces of live rock and the rest dry rock (which will also save you some money). Your skimmer should be rated for double your tank. No other filtration is required. I would also look into Octopus skimmers.

Do your research and take it slow and it will be fantastic!

Hey, welcome! 1LB a rock is suitable - with good skimming and deep sand bed (in the display or in a sump) you can easily do with a little less (maybe 1/2 to 3/4.gal) More never hurts, though. I'd save money and buy 75% base rock, 25% live. If you start with all base rock, it will eventually get "live", but you'll have far, far less biodiversity than if you "seed" it with a decent amount of live rock. More biodiversity means more creatures that will assist in the natural life cycle/cleaning of your tank, such as bristle worms, copepods, etc.

Scrubbers are looking like a good new thing if you keep up with the maintenance. I'll be setting one up in lieu of a skimmer for my next tank.
Skimmers are tried and tested and an easy bet for someone new, and hang-on skimmers are a good option for someone without a sump. I recommend doing research on skimmers before buying one. Many of us have tried to skimp on a skimmer and buy a cheapo one that turns out to be loud and/or not very effective, just to go out and buy another one soon after.

Patience and research will go a very long way in giving you a successful tank. It's very hard to resist plunging in with lots of fish and wanting to add things quickly, but it will pay off. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Where ya based, if you don't mind me asking? I'm out of MA.

Awsome! Thanks alot for the warm welcome, and the different ideas. I was up all last night researching, and couldnt sleep! lol Thanks again for clearing up my equipment issues. I've seen people on youtube talking about running Carbon along with HOB skimmers. What is the purpose of carbon, and how would i go about using it, and is it necessary? Thanks again everyone!

I'm new to Ft Campbell KY :) 101st Airborne Air assault!

Carbon is uses to remove small particles from the water column. I would not run it 24/7 because i think it removes small nutrients from the water column that the corals need. it would also have to be cleaned every 3 or 4 days, which is a hassle.

Some people do use one a month for a short period of time to "polish" the water though, but that is just a personal choice.

Hello and welcome to the site! Keep asking questions so we can further assist you. Looks like you're getting covered already though. If I catch anymore questions, i'll be glad to assist you!

Always questions here lol:). Im very new to the salt water world, with more background in freshwater, but ive done some more in depth research on an efficient protein skimmer since i will not be using a sump. And ive come acrossed the Octopus BH-2000 (rated up to 125g) or the Aquac Remora Pro rio 1400 (rated 40g-120g) Both have their pro's and con's but im having a hard time making a decision. Also, what powerheads would be better for a 75g tank? I was thinking about getting multiple 2-3 to create better filtration and circulation through out the tank, since i will not be using a sump. Last but not least, a lighting system for a Fish only tank. (For Now :)) thank you so much for your help.

I recommend the the reef octopus skimmer, they are great.

And it is better to use several smaller powerheads for the reason you listed above, but having a sump doesnt effect this. You want to flow everywhere, regardless of sump or not. Koralias are generally considered the best powerheads, but there are other brands that are just as good. Aim for total circulation of about 15-20x the volume

And you can use any light for a FOWLR tank.

I recommend the the reef octopus skimmer, they are great.

And it is better to use several smaller powerheads for the reason you listed above, but having a sump doesnt effect this. You want to flow everywhere, regardless of sump or not. Koralias are generally considered the best powerheads, but there are other brands that are just as good. Aim for total circulation of about 15-20x the volume

And you can use any light for a FOWLR tank.

+1 fish

I used a Bak Pak HOB skimmer on my old tank setup before and I thought it worked just fine. Make sure to do your research.....but Reef Octopus is a favorite for just about everyone here.

+1 on the Octopus, wonderful skimmers.

As far as lighting....and fish only....
I'm thinking as soon as you start to come across corals, you're going to get hooked. So, I'd suggest getting a cheap lighting system to start (CFs?), because you might want to upgrade down the road.

I think I've been to Campbell once or twice, flying through. I'm in Taji (Iraq) right now with 1ID.

Thank you guys once again! I think i have an idea on what equipment i will be buying for my 75g FOWLR tank, but theres alot more research i need to do before making that final decision, and with more research comes more questions! lol

Goodluck parrotchute stay safe

Now for the most exciting part, Stocking my tank! Though im still in the research process, i couldnt wait to start putting together a stocking list for my 75g :)! Some of the fish i would like to have in my tank are, a couple of Ocellaris Clownfish (2), a Pacific Blue Tang (1), a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (1), Green/blue reef Chromis (3) and a Green clown gobie (1). Its not set in stone, like i said i have alot more research to do but mine as well research my stocking plan as well :D. Am i able to add anything else to the list? or is this list too big to start with. Thanks for the help!

That seems like a good starter list, except for one thing. All tangs, except the yellow tang need 6 feed of swimming room. So i would swap out the Blue Tang for a Yellow tang.

Back