85gal stand build advice

Tifoez

Reefing newb
I just acquired an 85gal. glass aquarium, has a 1" hole drilled in the left side.. It is by far a rimless tank, it appears home made, has a 3 11/16" "rim".. I hope to have everything internal except a trickle filter, and protien skimmer.. I am drawing up plans to build a stand and lid, but have a few questions..

1.) Should the trickle filter supply/return lines be opposite sides of the tank than of the skimmers supply/return lines, or can they be on the same side??

2.) Is the one inch drilled hole sufficient for the trickle filter?? I plan to run pvc up and over into the tank for the skimmer since it requires a pump..

And I'd like to make it an island tank with the three sides visible and the short side with te drilled hole being the "closet" to hide plumbing, and electrical.. Anything that anyone can suggest prior to me beginning this build I would greatly appreciate!!

20140117_003348.jpg
20140117_003414.jpg

Trickle filters aren't really recommended for saltwater tanks. You're better off doing a refugium.

As far as the drilled bit, I'll let someone better at the mechanical stuff answer that question.

I agree on the refugium, I'm about a week away from fresh water wet-run, and researching you-tube and this forum before plumbing. I'm in the process of building a stand, I'm also going to ask for a moderator to move this thread to DIY

20140118_133544.jpg
20140118_133635.jpg

Todays progress, I still have to wrap it in 1/2" sheeting, put together the plumbing housing, & the top, just to complete the stand.. Then its onto plumbing, and hardware.. The stand is backwards in the pictured diagram, the box labeled 1 is the plumbing housing and it will be on the right of the tank..

20140118_193829.jpg

I started using autocad 360 to design everything, the tank portion is complete, now onto the stand, sump area, and plumbing..
Aquarium top view.png
Aquarium side view.png
Aquarium plumbing side.png

I would drilled two more holes on this panel for a total of 3 and build an internal overflow box and you got yourself a beanimal overflow.

aquarium-plumbing-side-png.21599

Back