88 degrees

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I came home from a week long vacation on saturday to a house in Houston with no AC. :shock:
Apparently my 18 year old furnace crapped the bed just a day or so after we left.
My brother who was checking in on my tank just thought we turned it up the thermostat while we were gone :| and I didn't think to tell him to keep an eye on the water temp on my RKL, which would have alerted me to there being a problem. So now I'm waiting for a call back from my AC guy to see if he'll be able to install a new furnace today to the tune of almost $5k. Meanwhile my tank has been hovering at around 87-88 degrees with the lights off. Everyone seems ok as far as I can tell. I think that temp is borderline safe, right? I'm sure it climbed fairly slowly and once our AC is restored it should drop fairly slowly as well.

Ugh. I should have stayed in Mexico. It would have been cheaper and cooler. :grumble:

Dam! sorry to hear that, hope everything goes well and there is no casualties.

but 5k... that is an absolute destroyer

good luck

I think I'd get another estimate on that furnace.5 grand is steep just for a change out.
But I think all your livestock will be fine as long as the rise was slow.

I think I'd get another estimate on that furnace.5 grand is steep just for a change out.
But I think all your livestock will be fine as long as the rise was slow.

Ya, the price isn't the cheapest but it's pretty normal for the efficiency rating, size and it's a variable speed unit. The base unit is like $2500 but they don't even stock it. Our unit is two steps up from that and one below the high end. And this company has always done good by us, never replacing anything more than what was needed. Going home in a few minutes to meet them and get that sucker installed. We've been having record temps down here all week.

How come the AC always goes out when people are on vacation? Same thing just happened to someone else on here!

I'm glad everything looks okay. Usually if they're going to die, you'll come home to a melted slimy mess. If they are looking good, I hope they will stay okay! High 80s is borderline disastrous, you're right.

Luckily some rain came through today, cooling things off by a few degrees. Tank is down to 86 degrees. And the guys are hard at work in my attic.

Upside is that while I sit here waiting for them to do their thing, I got to watch the liveblog of the new iPhone. :mrgreen: My screen on my current phone is so jacked with liquid crystal leaking in it, i can't see poo! Been dying for the past month waiting for this new one. Two more weeks! :bowdown:

The AC going out is my biggest fear. In the middle of summer here if the AC goes out it's not going to be a slow increase in temp..:shock:

Glad everything is looking good Dennis

I recebtly had something like this happen to me and I'm in houston as well. The temps only got to 85 and I caught just a day after it happend. It was a week ago and so far everything made it out fine other thatn a shrimp which kicked the bucket. Good luck to u!

Well, the ac is fixed, house temps are back down to 80 so far with the tank water temp dropping as well. I turned the lights back on and fed the tank. Everyone seems accounted for so far except i have not yet seen my serpent stars. The purple one usually come running out to eat but he was a no show today.

Wow what a crappy situation dude. Glad you got your AC worked out though.
Once, when I had my 55g going, I came home from vacation to the tune of 88, possibly 90 degrees. And who knows how hot it got during the week? The breaker had popped at some point, and the central air was just blowing hot air through the fan all week. Remarkably, I didn't lose anything! RBTA, fish, hammer coral, everything made it that I can remember.
Best of luck with the stars though!

Of that star don't pop up you better start digging otherwise you might have another disaster at hand with him decaying..no guessing if he's dead how long it's been.

Back