90 Gal Upgrade

BuckeyeFan

Reefing newb
Hi to all!

My wife bought me a 90 gal all glass corner-flo with a stand and canopy.
I bought an ADHI 45 refugium filter, Octopus 200 skimmer, and a mag 12 for the filtration.

I'm a little stumped on the lighting.

The canopy is 8" and has a full-hinged top.
I'd like to keep all types of corals, an anenome, and a clam.
I've read many posts on the forum and it looks like there are many who use T5's. I'd like to go with the T5's but I'm not sure about retro's or a fixture.

There is only room for 5 x 54w retros mounted to the lid.
Should I go with a fixture 6x54w?

Any suggestions with pros and cons are greatly appreciated.

Cool for you nice wifey. Ill let someone with more experience tell you about the lighting situation, be prepared for the T5 vs Metal Halide arguement to follow.

a lot of people use photobucket i just started using it. all you do is upload the pic and copy the img code then paste it in the thread.

Re: 90 Gal Upgrade Pics

90Gal003.jpg

Full hinged lid... I think this is my problem

90Gal004.jpg

Filtration: ADHI 45 Refugium - Octopus 200 NW - Mag 12

90Gal002.jpg

Whats the problem with the hinged top? Fixture hanging going to be a problem? Could you attach something to the inside for the fixture to rest on?

Nice tank. When you going to start filling it? How long is the tank? Reeffreak is great at suggesting lights. I'm sure he'll give you great info.

Tank is 48x18x24
I'm going to take my time and get all the equipment ready first.
Probably a month or so.
Next decision after lighting is closed loop or powerheads.

Wish my wife would by me a new tank.
Looks to me like your going to have a great system there.
From the pics of the canopy,I would seriously look into a T-5 retro kit.

Welcome to the site!

A full fixture will not fit without some serious modification of the canopy.I would look into at least a 6-54w T5 retro or at least 2-250w MH retro.I would at least run a couple T5 to balance out the color if you decide to go with MH.Don't forget to install cooling fans especially with MH.I'll give you the links and you decide what you think you like the best.I'm mostly a T5 guy but since your tank is 24'' deep MH maybe better suited.Both will allow you to be unlimited but SPS corals will need to be off the sandbed under T5.You will get less of a heat issue with T5 though.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/IceCap/SLR_Retrofit_Kits/

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Metal_Halide/IceCap/Retrofit_Kits_(MH_Only)/

T-5's would work well for a mixed coral tank, and I would consider a 6 tube fixture even if it took some modification of the canopy. That one extra tube can make a large difference in the growth rate of your corals. Try to get a fiixture with individual reflectors for each tube as the performance of the bulbs are much better with individual reflectors, especially with depths and your tank is considered a deep tank as it is over 18 inches deep.. The resale value and demand for T-5's are likely to hold for quite a while if you decide to go with all SPS and therefore decide to switch to halides. If the overflow hole in your tank is set up for only i one inch overflow tube you might want to return your pump for a Mag 9.5 instead of the Mag 12. The Mag twelve would have to be throttled down at the return if used with just one overflow moving water at the manafacturers maximum flow of 600 gph. As the Mag twelve at your tanks head height and using 3/4 " PVC pipe for a return line with several unions and two ball valves and two 90 degree elbows would pump at almost 700 gph. A Mag 9.5 would pump about 600 gph. In all actualality you should only expect an overflow rate of 300 to 450 gph through one 1 inch overflow, meaning a Mag-Drive 7 pump which would pump around 400 gph. Vinyl pipe used for return line would cut the flow some more, but the Mag 9.5 would stll be a little large and with vinyl the Mag 7 would be to small.

Are they the IceCap ballasts that let you use either the standard T-5 bulbs or the higher wattage overpowered bulbs now available? Those I think I would like to try om a trough frag grow out tank.

Back