90 gallon rebuild

rngpw

Reefing newb
here is my 90 gallon when it was still mainly a softy tank. I am in the process of rebuilding it into a sps and lps only tank. I drilled the right side of the tank for a closed loop and added a few other pumps to give it a ton of flow before head loss I am pushing around 3620 gph. I have 2-250 watt metal halides and 2 96 watt actinic pcs (soon will upgrade to vho's). I also built my back wall out of eggcrate, rock and pond foam. It looks really cool. I will send some pics of the build process. I will also upload some pics of my 300 if I can find some good ones. Its really hard to get a good detailed full tank picture of that thing.

Here are some before pics of when the tank was full of leathers and zoos.
pics are right side, side view, and left side.

this pic is of the left side
View attachment 377

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_0378.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 689
Here is a pic of my friend Jason Pressure Washing my rocks. I had some aptaisa and marjano on them so we decided to let them dry out. I will seed them with live rock out of my 300 later.

fish and projects 187.JPG

another pressure washing pic
fish and projects 191.JPG
pics 3 and 4 are pics of my closed loop plumbing, you'll notice that I keep everything as simple as possible.
fish and projects 186.JPG

fish and projects 183.JPG
zip tied my rocks to some eggcrate for my back wall.
42208 047.JPG
I will up date some more pics soon.

That's beautiful, love the healthy looking goni and gorgonians!
thanks for the compliment. I got that goniopora from a guy who had almost killed the whole thing off, and I was able to bring it back. It was really nice, unfortanately I sold everything out of that tank and the person who bought it was'nt able to keep it alive. i might get anouther one down the road.

Rick how is that plumbing working out? I was always told to keep at least a foot of flex in front and rear of a larger pump, do you do this as well? More 90s than I would think to use as well. Im not criticizing Im just getting close to the plumbing stage for my 180 and Im just gathering ideas.

Rick how is that plumbing working out? I was always told to keep at least a foot of flex in front and rear of a larger pump, do you do this as well? More 90s than I would think to use as well. Im not criticizing Im just getting close to the plumbing stage for my 180 and Im just gathering ideas.
The plumbing is working out fine. I had a bulkhead leak when i first set it up but a little bit of silicone fixed that problem. As far as the 90's, I actually only used the 2 inch pvc for the drain and I went ahead and used 1 1/2''flex tube for the two returns. So far though like I said it seems to work well. The two returns are on the right wall so they shoot all the way across the middle of the tank. One is about 3'' higher then the other. I guess Ill find out how well everything works once I put some coral in the tank. the tank is in the brown algae stage of its cycle.

Back