900gph pump too much flow through a 29 gallon sump?

Zissou

What about my dynamite?
Will this work?

Display Tank - 75 gallons
Overflow - 1500gph glassholes kit (1.5" dual)

Sump - 29 gallons
Layout - Skimmer/Return/Refuge
Return - Eheim 1262 (900gph)

Given the length of the sump tank (30") I don't have a lot of room for a fuge, maybe 7-8 gallons worth. The return pump will feed the refugium and the dual .75" returns going into the DT. There will be a ball valve on each one.

The bubble trap baffles are 15" tall, and the refugium is 16". The tank itself is 18.75".

Will the 900gph pump be too much flow through the sump, split three ways?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I could stuff a 55 under there, but I'd have to pick it up off a craigslist, which wouldn't be cheap. (Everyone in alaska thinks they own something *special* and want too much.)

I also have a 20g long not being used, I suppose I could turn that into a two chamber sump and then turn the 29 gallon into a large refuge by itself; maybe gravity drain it into the return of the 20g being that it's 6" taller. But that's getting a little complicated.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Way to much. I have a Rio 6hf with a 350 GPH and a Korlia 1 and it is plenty for my 29. A 900 GPH will just create a massive sand storm in your tank.

I have a mag 700 as a return through my sump. It is a 10 gallon sump on a 29 gallon tank. No problem with sand storms.

It is set up like this from left to right

3 gallon DIY fuge/ Return pump and small fuge pump/ From the overflow

The diy fuge is fed from the return pump section by a small 60 gph power head and returns back to the return section.

The return is a 1/2 pipe that I have used a reducing bushing to go up to 1" pipe and then Ted it so it returns into the tank as 2 1" returns. This spreads the flow out a bit more than just a 1/2 return.

I have a similar set up on my 150 and have macro in the fuge. Your setup would be considered high flow thru your sump. Most seem to recomend low flow for macro algae or a DSB but I have had success with high flow. You will lose some flow from head loss (pushing the water up against gravity) and you have a killer overflow box so the two will work together fine. You should have a ball valve on the return line for adjusting the flow. The return is at the surface of the DT so you don't have to worry about blowing sand around.

On a side note, IF your return pump is pushing water too fast for your overflow, your overflow box will tend to be too deep in the water and thus will make it easier for fish to get in it, drain more water out in the event of a power outtage, and may tend to create a bubble in the U tube from the high flow racing thru. You can use a small strip of sponge in front of the U-tube to prevent bubbles getting in it.

Make sure you have enough room in your sump to handle the water that will flow into it when you shut the power off.

You can link the two tanks together if you need more room for a fuge which is what I have done with an additional overflow box. Although my two tanks linked together are only about 25 gallons. I think that having a filter sock, skimmer, small ball of chaeto, and heater down there is worth the trouble.

Last edited:
Let me see here....you want to use a 900gph pump split into two returns and feeding a refugium?Personally,I don't think that is too much.You will still want ball valves to control the flow going through the returns and fuge.

Three lines? I guess I missed that. That way you can slow down the flow into the fuge. That could work pretty good. Mine just flows in a line: filter, skimmer, fuge, return. I want to see a picture of a set up like that.

Here you go.

Top ball valve for the two returns/right ball valve to fuge.

2105042.jpg

Hose on the right goes to the fuge,bottom hose in in the pic drains back to the sump.

P8191109.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys. I've also been looking around and it seems that it's not terribly uncommon, so I'm a lot more comfortable ordering a pump. I'm also thinking about a scrubber setup, I've had glass baffles made for both ideas so it's really a matter of deciding on which one to implement. Throwing my thoughts around before I cut, glue, plumb anything. :chicken:

Once again, thanks!

Back