90G Tank For $50?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
You'd do it too!! :bounce:

I'm waiting for him to call me back and I'll go pick it up. Might be too good to be true. We'll see.

VERY good deal. Sounds like too good to be true, but if biff can get a 240 for $100, then its definitely possible.

Grab it !

I picked it up about 4hrs ago. He had African Cichlids in it.

It just an "okay" tank. Nothing special. I think it's an All Glass. It's filthy. Needs a good scrubbin'. Typical light brown plastic ring around the top and bottom. Glass is 3/8" on the sides. Not sure about the bottom. It has a center support.

It's 48" long x 18" wide x 24" tall.

It's scratched. Front and back glass have light scratches all over. Like somebody used an abrasive pad to clean it. Can it be polished?

I've never looked at a scratched tank. Couldn't really see all the scratches in his garage. Didn't see them until I got it outside in the sunlight. I don't know if they will be noticeable when it has water in it.

I'm not what you can do for scratch glass.They make scatch remover kits for acrylic but I've never heard of anything for glass.

......but congrats on the tank.What is the plan for this tank and is it going to replace your other system?

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Plans? I honestly don't know. :shock: I just spotted it on craigslist and jumped on it.

My wife sorta suggested that I break down my 30g tank and make a transfer. I'm not sure she fully understands the start-up cost on a tank like this. I may save up the cash and slowly purchase the equipment I need to get it going. Found a spot to put it on an inside wall. Need a stand, lights, skimmer, pumps.

I got a 29g tank that was given to me by a friend. It's scratched beyond belief, but would make an excellent sump/refugium for the 90g.

The lights will cost me $500+

The skimmer will probably cost me $200+

The plumbing will probably cost me $150

500 pounds of sand. ???

I'd sure like to drill it, while it's empty. What size holes should I drill? How many outlet holes? I don't think I want to fart with overflow box(s).

Do you drill it for inlet holes too? How many?

I really have no idea what I'm doing with it. I am going to clean it up and inspect the scratches more closely. I may try and buff some of them out with that cerium oxide compound. After that -- I think it may sit awhile.

This tank needs $1000 before I can actually have any corals.

I say make it something unike Sp, like with a octopus or ray in it.reefscavengers sells these at a cheap price and there reviews are gret.

125 or bigger my friend for the big tank club. Skip the ray, they need 300+ gallons of unobstructed swimming space to live.

500 lbs of sand is excessive. I did mine with four 20 lb bags of live sand. I guess it depends on if you are running a DSB. But I figure that is what you have planned for the sump / refugium. Great buy BTW, it looks like mine.

I am not aware of glass repair stuff for scratches. Sorry. It will make a nice addition to a tank build for you though

-Doc

125 or bigger my friend for the big tank club.
:grumble: Oh well. I can always get a bigger one later.

I like the DSB in the tank too. I like the gobys, sand sifting starfish, nessarious snails etc.. I don't know if it would take 500 lbs, but it will take a lot to get 6-8" of sand in the bottom of this thing.

After you get it cleaned up do the leak test, before you try polishing, if they are light scratches I bet they wont show in water. You could always do it FOWLR to keep the costs down for a bit.

You could always do it FOWLR to keep the costs down for a bit.

:fechten2: BS!!!

I'm a total coral nerd. I really don't give a squat about the fish to be honest. I just have a couple fish in my tank so that EVERYBODY who comes to my house doesn't ask me the same dumb question, "Where are the fish?" And then I have to go on and tell them how I don't care about the fish and I'm a coral nerd and then they stare at me funny and I feel stupid and even more nerdy. :shock:

I'm a total reef nerd, man. I couldn't do a fish only tank. I'd feel like a 3rd grader.

No offense to anyone. Thats just me. :mrgreen:

Back