90gal for 200

coolhandgoose

Reef enthusiast
I found someone who can custom make a 90 gallon tank 48"W 18"L 24"T. Is that a good size for a reef tank? He can also customize the overflow, I'm thinking I want one that's drilled through the bottom and I can put a Durso stand pipe in to reduce noise. Speaking of the overflow, do you guys prefer them in the corner or the middle, I think i'm partial to th corner but not sure what's best.

I'm also thinking of getting lights from aquatraders.com. I've heard mixed reviews but I figure even if I have to replace ballasts slowly over time it's still cheaper to go through them.

if it is a custom tank i would make the tank deeper than 18in and a bit shorter a deeper tank will give you better option for aqua scaping and for room in front of the tank for swimming room. i like corner overflows myself over center ones

yea i tend to agree with D on that one... i would go with a larger footprint and a little less tall, remember that the taller the tank, the more powerfull the lights will have to be to pennitrate all the way to the bottom, so if your thinking corals, its something to think about...

i too would drill the bottom, and then use durso's or something along thoes lines, and i would drill 3 holes, one in each back corner for the overflows, and then one in the middle for the return, then you can split the return and have it spray wherever you want it to with some lockline or something like that...

i would drill 3 holes, one in each back corner for the overflows, and then one in the middle for the return, then you can split the return and have it spray wherever you want it to with some lockline or something like that...

I really like that idea, thanks!

So would you do the opposite say 18" tall and 24"wide?

that would be good or see about making it 48 x24x 24 that is a 120 but the dimensions are perfect i really like ones that are as tall as deep

yea, 4 foot and 24x24 would be a really awesome tank..

if you are having it made, have you investigated starfire glass, or whatever it's called?

Back