92 Gallon Corner Tank?

ryanstrother

Reefing newb
Im looking into purchasing a new fish tank. Im between a 120 Gallon drilled tank, and a 92 gallon aqueon corner tank (with one right angle, two flat panels forming a 90 degree angle, with one quarter-circle glass front. , also drilled for an overflow filter. Both are glass. The corner tank definatly fits the room better but Im skeptical bout the shape.

Does the curved glass cause distortion that would be a deal breaker?

Are there limitations on the species of fish and corals that can be kept in a corner tank?

Any and all input about the advantages and disadvantages on SW corner tanks welcome.

Hello and welcome!

You will be more limited in livestock in the corner tank, as it doesn't provide the length of swimming space that many larger fish need.

The distortion does cause problems when photographing the tank, and some people don't like bowed glass for that reason.

In general, the longer the tank the better. Saltwater fish can't use vertical space as well as they can use length.

Thanks!

Is the distortion only in photographs or a constant visual hinderance on the tank? also does the shape make any difference in the corals kept in the tank?

You will always see the distortion, but I have a round tank as well, and it is not bothersome in my opinion.

The shape doesn't make a difference for corals, except the deeper the tank, the stronger lighting you will need to keep them.

I can't stand bowfront rounded tanks. My nano has a somewhat rounded front and it hurts my eyes after a while when I'm staring at my tank for a while.

I have a 92 gallon corner tank. I only found two problems with it. 1 - the limited swimming space. 2 - finding the right combination of powerheads and their position to get the optimal flow for all of the corals. I went with this tank b/c it fit my room better.

Back