93g cube of AWESOME!

beeguiles

they call me fish geek ;p
Soo the time has finally come! I put in my order for my 93g cube today!! It should be ready to pick up by the 29th. I have having it drilled so I can use my 29g as a sump. Here is my equipment list so far.

Lighting- ecoray 112d LEDs
Power heads- koralia, I have two 425 and one 240 right now. I want to add another but not sure what size. And I will also have the return for flow.
Skimmer- undecided, I need to find a qualit skimmer for $200 or less. Any suggestions??
Mag 7 return Pump
Around 50lbs of dry rock either from brs or Marco rocks.
Sand-how much will I need??

In these couple of weeks waiting for the tank went husband will be building the stand out of oak. I think that's it for now. I'm so excited to get this going!! I'm not sure if we are doing one big transfer or letting it cycle first. Any suggestions, comments are welcome. This is my first big tank so if there is anything I should know just let me know!!

Thanks for the suggestions chuck. I will check out that skimmer. I forgot to say I am using the live rock I have in the 29 too so that's about 90lbs all together. I did want to salvage the sand I have and just siphon it out very well. Would that be okay or will it be too much of a hassle to clean out?? I didn't realize how much return pumps are lol. Anyone know of where I can find one for a good price?? My lfs has a mag 9 for 110 bucks. Is that a good deal? I'm so excited about this

I would also check out reefrocks.net. They have really nice rock. I have that in my 37 and love it. VERY porous. Great prices also. He will give you free sand if you get rocks. Save you some money.

Can't wait to see it good luck!

I would'nt bother with old sand. Too much nasty stuff to rinse out. New sand is $20...heck I'd pay that to not have too spend 3hrs. rinsing & soaking over & over.

Little fish what is a good quality brand that is $200 or under?

Thanks for the rock suggestion Justin. Do you know if they have black sand? That's what I'm going to stick with.

I dont think that will be enough flow. I have 3, 425's and one 750 in my 46 and i dont think its enough. The flow rates arent accurate on the powerheads and its been proven. Id go bigger specially ina 93g jus my two cents.

I dont think that will be enough flow. I have 3, 425's and one 750 in my 46 and i dont think its enough. The flow rates arent accurate on the powerheads and its been proven. Id go bigger specially ina 93g jus my two cents.

Should I do one 2300 along with what I have?

Ok....you want my honest opinion? Here goes....I have 3 240's in my 20g tall mantis tank....dont think its enough....and as i stated with what i have in my 46....that being said IM NOT SURE. I havent been researching their new stuff. (Hydor's)

What are the dimentions on the tank and where are you planning on placing your powerheads?

How many powerheads you really want in your tank? I hate how many i have in all my tanks, it looks like crap IMO. It really depends on how big your tank is. But id scrap the idea of a 240 in a 93g for sure. Pointless IMO

Dana, the dimensions are 30x30x24. Yea didn't really think the 240 would make any difference. I only have two 425s in my 29g and it's perfect for me.

Thanks for the advice so far guys, my hubby and father in law are going to be building the stand this Saturday and Sunday.

My lfs has a mag 9 for 110 bucks. Is that a good deal? I'm so excited about this

Ive haven't tried these yet but Deep Blue is gaining as a real competitor in the aquarium market.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Triton-Series-1050GPH/dp/B0042GF9SG]Amazon.com: Deep Blue Triton Series Water Pump 1050GPH: Pet Supplies[/ame]

hmmm save the 240 for your refugium maybe? Hehe its not even my tank and im excited lol. I just know this is going to look great you have very nice taste in corals and always seem to mix beautiful colours.

A beautiful tank like that you not gonna wanna cut corners, just get new sand tbh, i cleaned out sand from my main tank and the smell alone wasnt worth it. and that was only 5 gallons worth of sand (2lbs tops)

Ps... im jealous! :D

Kev that is a good deal, thanks for the link :) I'll have to check it out more.

Kels, thank you for the kind words :) i do want to do this right the first time around and I don't want it to look half assed. I just want to save as much money as I can bc I am on a tight budget. The tank was more than I thought after everything was all said and done. Idk maybe I got good deal. Drilled 93g cube for $722. That's just the tank. I don't want to cheap out on the light but I can't go crazy either so that's why I chose the ecoray. The. There is all the little things that add up like salt, heater, the acrylic for the sump, plumbing parts. Ahhhh lol I'm thinking about it too much! I think this is my bday, Christmas and anniversary gift lol.

This might be a slow build in the beginning. We will most likely buy things as we get paid lol. But my hubby told me it would be all set up by my bday which is June 23rd.

Back