A Bad Day

Mog46g

Reefing newb
:helm2:Well woke up this moring to find my choc chip stay fish either badly hurt or sick and dieing two of his legs were ripped apart and skin was hangin off of him and they looked limp and he was not moving i have had him for like three months and never had a problem with him at all was always active and ate fine,So he was jsut laying on the bottom of the tank and the crabs were starting to eat him so i had to let him go back to the sea they say all drains lead to the ocean, so i test my water in my tank this is what i got.

Ph=7.4
nitrite=0
nitrate-in between 10-20
ammonia=.50

jsut did a water change about a week and a half ago..

i only have fowlr

my salt was dead on 1.027 i think but it was in the right range and jsut curious if i could get some advice on my issue i had with the choc chip star are my fish at risk jsut looking for some help..

That is a little High (salt), I would have it around 1.023, and the Nitrate is a little high for him, that could be part of the problem, Also, those starfish are hit or miss. perhaps it was just his time. good thing is, they are not that expensive

If those numbers are correct,you have some serious water quality problems.

Ammonia at .50 is extremely toxic,especially to inverts like starfish.
Nitrates between 10 and 20 probably isn't going to bother fish all that much.But again,inverts are another story.

PH at 7.4? I hope thats a bad test kit.A PH that low is going to effect everything in your tank in a negative way.

Do some water changes and get that ammonia down and the nitrates down.
Whats your alkalinity? I'm betting its extremely low and the reason for the low PH.

When doing a water change is it better to use spring water or distalled water? or some other water i have no idea about..

I agree with everyone else...you amm and nitrates are what's killing you starfish and possibly affecting your other critters. Go ahead and do a water change to balance everything out. Good luck!

You can also try 8.4 by aquavitro it will keep your ph at a steady 8.4, if your ph gets to low add this and it will bring the levels up to where they should be. Aquavitro makes some awsome chemicals look them up:bounce:

That`s why it`s best to wait till you have a mature tank of at least a yr old. Why is your ammonia that high? Is the tank cycling?

Back