A budget fish with lots of personality for a cube tank

ilyad

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

I really really want to get another fish for my tank... I currently have a 28g and only one clown... I do have coral, so I need a reef safe fish, but I want one with a lot of fishonality :Cheers:

My clown hosted the overflow and almost never comes to the front, but I want one that will swim around in the tank...

Any suggestions would be helpful!!!

In sum: reef safe, friendly, one that will swim up front, fits in a nano cube

Gobies are fun. How about a bright yellow clown goby, they're about 8 dollars and cute. You could also add a firefish pair, hopefully with two of them they wouldn't hide.

You could try adding another clown to make a pair. Just get the same species and one that is about half the size of the other one so there isnt much fight over dominance. IME, clowns are more active in a pair than separately.

A fire angel or a coral beauty would be pretty.

And yes there is a 50/50 it might nibble your corals. I have a coral beauty, but it has never showed intrest in my corals. I prefer the beauty over the fire. :)

There are ALOT of beautiful gobys out there. I also love a starry blenny. ;)

I always think angels do better in slightly larger and more established systems tho. Plus, the flame is 65 around me, not quite a budget fish!

My favorite interactive fish is still the midas blenny. She swims out front all the time and will come up to the glass when I am looking and she always seems to have a smile on her face.

I was at the store yesterday and the guy that owns it was just sitting there looking at his tanks and mentioned that his fave was also the midas and he has had the opportunity to experience every fish on the market.

Amber, you're the reason I really want a Midas and why I just suggested one to Samhain, you make them sound so fun! I can never find one around me though...it's become my white whale.

I'm seriously considering the Midas too, Sarah. It is a lovely fish, and hopefully it won't hide all the time! And the color is so intense in all the pics I've seen. If you really want one, do what I'm going to be doing. Find some corals and inverts you like at LA or BZ, stock up your cart, and finish it off with a fish! That way you get a lot of bang for your shipping buck! P.S. Sorry for the semi-hijack of the thread......

Good idea Samhain! I should throw some bizness at LA anyhow, as much as I peruse their site for info....
Plus, I want that red spotted goby they have. I don't know why. I just do.

Ive actually looked in to getting a Midas, never knew they were that amazing! Looks like that what Im going to go with... I just went online to my local store and they have an African coloration morph for $40 Im going to go talk to them soon, see what the deal is...

Gold_Midas_Blenny.jpg

+1 blenny. I don't have one but every time i go to an lfs or friends house the blenny is the one that comes right out and wants to play. i think i have some video of a baby orange and gray blenny and a baby clownfish trying to host each other. it was awesome. while i was researching the blenny to see if i could put him in my tank my friend bought the pair.

You could try adding a goby or you can choose royal gramma. But as in your case, maybe it is easier to go for goby as they are easier to acclimatize to new tank condition. Royal gramma can be a bit tricky and their temperament can also be quite unpredictable especially with clownfish. Either way, both are reef safe.

Back