a change in water test results?????

RAYRAY

Tiny Tank Club A+ Member
ok, so I have been testing my water about every 2 weeks or so.
today, feb 19th 2008 there was a big time change in my results !!!!
2 weeks ago all my test seemed GREAT...ph was 8.2,ammonia was 0 nitrite was 0 and suprisingly my nitrate was around 5 which was lower then normal. it usually stays around 10.
Now my tests show a completely different result.
ph is still 8.2, ammonia went up to 0.25 ppm ??????? Nitrite went up to 0.50 ppm ????? and Nitrate went way up to 20ppm. Not sure what is up ???? the only thing i did was remove the chemi-pure pouch and added Black Diamond Carbon. That is it !!!!!! I'm so glad I didnt add another fish at this point like I was supposed to ...
I did add top off water like 5 minutes before I took the test but I dont think that should change the results. I'm going to take the test one more time after I post this to see if there is a differece. ANY IDEAS???????
Fish all seem ok, not breathing heavy or acting wierd . the only other change in the tank is the algea on the rocks seem to be dissappearing, now if it is dying off then that could be my change but why would it be dying ???? at first I just thought it ws the snails eating it away and it could be that but I dont know !! GRRRRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!

well I tested again....same outcome !! whats freaking going on here ???? could it be that I am feeding a little more so that the goby at the bottom gets enough food ?? I dont know !!!! I will test again tomorrow and see what happens... If it stays the same, I will do a water change and run the chemi-pure again..

IMO it is the water change. when you do a water change everything is out of whack with in a few hours. I ussually wait 24hrs after water change before I test the water.

My guess is that the Chemipure became part of the biological filter and when you changed it out for carbon it cause the ammonia and nitrite to rise.Nothing you can do but wait it out.It should come down fairly quickly.It would probably be a good idea to change carbon/chemipure more often or better yet use it one week a month.Rinse it and reuse it the next month.Another good idea is to add more live rock.

kimoy, i didnt do a water change yet, but thank you for your help,
reef, yes I know I need live rock !!!! And I was thinking about what you said about the chemi-pure, but thats just it, I only ran it for 2 weeks, then added carbon for 2 weeks, then took it out for a week then ran it for 2 weeks, now its out. Very Strange to me.... I,m going to test again 2nite and see what the results are. Friday...NO MORE FISH FOR A WHILE !!!! but I will get about 5 lbs of the cured live rock at my LFS that 7.99 per pound. CRAZY HUH !!!
thanks again, If anyone could think of anything else just let me know!!!

Have you tried looking for a local reef club or on craigslist for live rock? The local clubs always have someone getting out of the hobby.

Oscae..... No Actually I Havent...not Sure About Any Local Clubs,bu Ti Do Have A Friend That Will Be Changing Over To A Bigger Tank And Said He Will Give Me Some Live Rock !!! So I Might Get Luky There.

If you think you may be overfeeding, that could do it.

Algae dying off can release nutrients back into the water, and algae dying off and rotting in your tank can also spike levels. You say your algae is disappearing, so maybe that's what happened, although it doesn't happen very often.

I agree to do a water change to try and dilute out the toxins, and wait it out for a bit and hopefully they will go back down soon.

Sarah,thanks...... I Didnt Think That Algea Just Starts To Die Off Either, I Only Have 5 Nassarius And 5 Astrea Snails. So Unless They Are Having An Algea Eating Party I'm Not Sure Whats Up. Trying Not To Panic, But I Dont Want To Lose Any Fish You Know ??? I'm Trying To Hold Out Until Friday So I Can Go Get Already Mixed Saltwater To Do The Water Change And Finally Get About 5 Lbs Of Figi "cured" Live Rock. Can I P, You With Some Questions So I Dont Have To Keep Posting Threads??????

I Seen Fiji "pre-cured" Online For $75.99 For 25 Lbs, Thats Not To Bad,but I Would Have To Cure It For Like 2 Weeks !

Back