A complete newbie who needs a way to start!

I use a api test kit and I never noticed that first pic, however i never really looked at it then either. I count the drops then shake the shit out of it..Looks like your cycle has started to me.

Yeah i think its something to do with the salt, I have the API ammonia test and a test that can be used for salt and freshwater and it doesnt do it with the tap water ive tested. Just have to make sure you clean out that test tube good, or they get.... scuzzy

Sorry chichi, couldn't get a better one.

Anyhow, update:

My RapidLED PAR38 arrived and it looks really quite nice. For whatever reason, the pictures show it up as blue but it's a lot more purple than blue to be honest. Nor does it come out so intense like it does in the picture. I also broke the first piece of live rock into three pieces and placed it into the sump at the back and replaced it with these two in the main display.

The water was pretty hazy when I took these but they came out alright.

20130208181515.jpg

20130208181530.jpg

Love the tunneled rock. It's got openings on the left and right sides which should be great for flow. I plan to have a torch coral on the tip of the taller rock which should look great.

I do have a small concern. I've probably been putting my hand and other things in the tank way too much, from pumps to other components added and I'm quite worried about all these things and the potential contamination they cause. Is there anything to be concerned about and is there something I could add which could kill anything harmful in the tank? Because at this point I've landscaped how I wanted it and won't be poking in there with too many things as of for the near future.

The live rock I placed at this back is in three fairly big sized pieces and I've only been able to put a small LED at the back which gives some light. Now, does the whole area need to be lit where the rock is or am I fine with how it is, and does it matter that I'm using three big pieces instead of a dozen or so smaller pieces?

As always, thanks guys for your continued help. Now it's time for Mr raw shrimp to rot! ;)

It is always a good idea to wash your hands well before getting your hands wet. I work in a restaurant and constantly wash my hands and use sanitizer so when I get home I use a lotion. I am careful to wash again before putting my hands in the tank. Then I wash again and have to use more lotion....its a endless circle...Anyway.... The only things I could see as being super harmful to a tank would be if you are using some type of medication on your skin or if you just changed the oil on the car or maybe used a bleach cleaner in the bathroom and didnt wash well. Seems to keep going to back to wash you hands doesnt it...there might a theme here....:D

I try my best, Ted, but I guess I'll always be concerned about it.

Update:

Check my parameter's today and looks my like cycle is in full swing. Didn't have the SW card so I just compared my results to Google images of the SW card. I didn't have the time to buy a raw shrimp on Saturday and have just left it. I'm wondering if there's any point now seeing as it's going through a cycle.

20130211182822.jpg

Was also measuring my PH and for some reason it came up quite reddish. I can't seem to compare it the colors on the chart. Any help/indication?

20130211183942.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the tank. Camera's really don't do it justice. Looks so much better in person.

img20130211150949.jpg

img20130211152030.jpg

No, little_fish. From what I read, the solution's and instructions are the exact same as the FW kit. It's just the card indicators that have different colors.

Guys, I've noticed this orange algae sort of stuff rapidly growing all over the tunneled live rock and also appearing on the sand. Can anyone possibly identify what it is?

I don't think it's Cyanobacteria because that's usually blue/green-ish.

20130212002935.jpg

20130212003149.jpg

20130212003140.jpg

20130212003123.jpg

What I have noted is, the tunnelled rock came with this orange stuff but I thought it was just the coloration of the rock and it definitely looked that way. The other piece of rock doesn't have this orange stuff although dots of it have started to appear on that, too.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

looks like diatoms to me as well. what i did when my tank was new and one small outbreak i took a tooth brush and kept brushing the rocks off and it never grew back.

Update:

Did a water test.

Ammonia - 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 0pmm
Nitrate - 40ppm

My diatoms have also started to turn into green algae. I think I'll give it a little less than a week before introducing a crab or a snail just to see how it goes and watch the levels from there.

I've gotta say, API test bottle caps are horrible. Most of the time when I'm shaking these things, the fluid is coming out. They should either invent some screw ons or make them a lot tighter because I don't know how they expect you to vigorously shake a test tube for 1 minute without 3/4 of the fluid ending up everywhere.

Shall do, appreciate that, thanks.

A q.

I've kept a 18.5 water bottle full of RO in a cold room with a lid on. I was told it can last up to three weeks and I opened the bottle today and the smell of the bottle was stagnant. Is this normal and is it generally alright to still use the water? (I have been using it)

Back