A complete newbie who needs a way to start!

Shall do. Luckily, he stopped at the tip of the water and decided to jump onto the MagFloat where I then decided to elevator him down to the ground. It was video worthy, haha.

20130219025421.jpg

20130219025557.jpg

"Don't mind me, just chillin' on my magfloat"

Thanks for the ATO DIY thing Chichi, will give it a go this week.

Guys, I posted a while back when I was setting it up that I have a bag of carbon. My tank has been a little hazy for the last few days and I was thinking the carbon may help.

20130122175938.jpg

Black bag above >^

Question is, would it help and is it alright to use now that my cycle has more or less ended and life is starting to come up? Are there any disadvantages, is there any such thing as using too much, such as the bag above in my tank and should I wash the bag before adding it to the tank?

Last edited:
Always rinse carbon before adding it to the tank. All that black dust is just ugly, wont hurt anything but not attractive. I like running carbon, seems that I run it more then I dont. Something about having nice clear water and never having a fishy smell in my room appeals to me.

:shock: to be honest I dont know....I was looking at the bulb you are looking at and the nm range is 350-400 the Actinic bulbs for the aquarium are 420/460 nm....My gut tells me no.

Yeah, I'll probably give it a miss, thanks again.

I was watching a video yesterday about a few problems a guy was having with his tank and he mentioned he had Aiptasia and I thought to myself, I hope I don't get that. Lo and behold, I just look in my tank and see what I think is Aiptasia.

Could someone confirm it? It's definitely no Anemone because there's a fair amount of them on the LR.

32325224.png

ap2r.jpg

I don't want these to become bigger and would rather tackle the problem while I can - any solutions? I've read a Peppermint shrimp would eat these up but I planned on getting a Fire shrimp for this 12G tank.

Pretty sure two shrimps would be overload. Any other solutions, such as liquid killers or something of the sort?

Another thing, when I bought my LR, it had this pink-ish thing on it. Would anyone happen to know what it is?

20130221021848.jpg

Yup kill it now! Aiptasia X is some good stuff.

Edit: the pink stuff is harmless but I forget what it is called. I believe its a filter feeder.

I shall do, thanks.

Thing is, how do I go about killing so many seeing as they're so tiny? I mean, them pictures are zoomed in and there's a lot on the LR. Do I just cover the LR completely with Aiptasia X or just apply really small dabs of it where I see the Aiptasia?

The aiptasia X comes with a little syringe (no actual needle though) and you turn off the flow and squeeze the aiptasia x into and around its mouth. It usually works pretty well but sometimes you will have to do it a few times

Right, but like I mentioned, the Aiptasia's are so small, that just a small squeeze of the syringe will cover the whole Aiptasia and the area around it. I'll see how it works out, though. I guess being a little reckless with it shouldn't be too much of a problem as I have no coral's or fish, just a few snails/crabs.

Thanks for the advice. :)

Oh dear, they look the exact same & I've already ordered the Aiptasia X.

How do you go about getting rid of Hyroids, Little?

they are really hard to get rid of :( they are one of the worst pests out there.

The most reliable way, is to pull the rock and totally kill it.

People have tried to glue them, cover them with putty, smoother with aiptasia X all to varying degrees of success.

Ah, right. Looking closely, I don't think they're colonial hydroids because a fair few of them are completely separate and far from others and from the pictures I've seen, colonial hydroids look very close to each other.

Could be wrong. They're awfully similar.

Another q,

I've read a Peppermint shrimp can help with Aiptasia, but I was planning to get a Fire shrimp for the tank.

Would two shrimps be too much for a 12G?

nope, it should be fine. I would actually get two peps, to increase the odds that one will eat the aiptasia. But it should be noted they wont eat hydroids.

And I would be worried about the hydroids spreading...

I see. Well, if they are hydroids, then there's not much I can do I'm afraid. I'm not prepared to take out all the rock and start torching it and so on. It seems like a waste of time. These things will always pop up somewhere. I didn't really plan to have any but one coral anyway and a couple of Oscellaris CF's, but finger's crossed that they're just Aiptasia.

I would get two peppermint shrimp and see if the eat them. If they dont start spot treating with aiptaisa x. Either way pests are just something we all deal with in this hobby, it doesnt have to be the end of the world just take some steps see how that works and re-evaluate.

Back