A Couple of Questions Before setup.

docholiday

Reefing newb
Hello Everybody,

I've been lurking on these boards for quite sometime while I was doing all my research before making my tank purchase. I figured it was finally time to pick everyone's brain for a couple of quick questions.

My setup is going to be a red sea max with 55lbs of live rock and a 4"-5" deep sand bed.

I was initially going to purchase live rock to cure in my tank but during negotiation agreed to purchase the lfs cured rock for only $1.00 more/lb than the uncured. The advantage being I am able to pick whatever size shape density etc. that I want. This leads me to my 1st question: Since his live rock is cured and I am using a DSB do I need to add a peice of frozen shrimp or something to force a cycle to help develop the anerobic (sp) bacteria and to help stabalize the tank or will the live sand and any small die off during transport home/initial setup be enough to help stabalize the tank?

My second question has to do with creating flow in the tank. The red sea max comes with 2 powerheads right next to each other (realize that this may not be the most ideal setup, but it's what I got). I'm just verifying that the goal is to create an even flow of water through the tank trying to eliminate any deadspots. Is there anything else I should be aware of other than this basic rule?

My third and question (for this round) is for the initial setup should I mix the water in the tank - as the manual suggests (only because it's the 1st time)? My plan was to mix the water outside the tank and then put the live sand in the bottom of the tank pouring the water onto a plate on the sand.

My final question is whether or not I should add the live rock at the initial setup or give the tank a day or two to settle?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure the guy at the LFS can answer them but I like to double check my sources.

-Steve

Hello Everybody,

I've been lurking on these boards for quite sometime while I was doing all my research before making my tank purchase. I figured it was finally time to pick everyone's brain for a couple of quick questions.Welcome to the reef

My setup is going to be a red sea max with 55lbs of live rock and a 4"-5" deep sand bed.

I was initially going to purchase live rock to cure in my tank but during negotiation agreed to purchase the lfs cured rock for only $1.00 more/lb than the uncured. The advantage being I am able to pick whatever size shape density etc. that I want. This leads me to my 1st question: Since his live rock is cured and I am using a DSB do I need to add a peice of frozen shrimp or something to force a cycle to help develop the anerobic (sp) bacteria and to help stabalize the tank or will the live sand and any small die off during transport home/initial setup be enough to help stabalize the tank?I dont think you'll have to worry about it.The LFS I help at sets up complete systems all the time using cured rock.Fully stock them the same day.However I DONOT reccomend that.I would set it up and watch it for a week or so to see what happens.

My second question has to do with creating flow in the tank. The red sea max comes with 2 powerheads right next to each other (realize that this may not be the most ideal setup, but it's what I got). I'm just verifying that the goal is to create an even flow of water through the tank trying to eliminate any deadspots. Is there anything else I should be aware of other than this basic rule?You'll want 10X the tank volume in your flow rate.I'd add another power head or 2.

My third and question (for this round) is for the initial setup should I mix the water in the tank - as the manual suggests (only because it's the 1st time)? My plan was to mix the water outside the tank and then put the live sand in the bottom of the tank pouring the water onto a plate on the sand.Just mix it in the tank,then add your sand.

My final question is whether or not I should add the live rock at the initial setup or give the tank a day or two to settle?Go a head and add the rock.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure the guy at the LFS can answer them but I like to double check my sources.We like questions.Gives us a good excuse to up our post count.:D

-Steve

Hi Steve and welcome.

The Red Sea Max is a good all-in-one setup. Before you buy another powerhead or two, I'd watch it for a few days and see if you really need to add another one. Watch for dead spots, and if you have too many, another small powerhead will help out.

There will be some die off even from transporting and moving cured live rock. I don't think you'll need to add a piece of shrimp, but you might want to add a couple pieces of fish food (like a pinch of flakes or pellets). Ask your LFS if you can have a pinch of food, so you don't have to buy the whole container yourself. Once you get fish, you won't want to feed them flakes or pellets, only feed frozen, so buying a whole container of flakes or pellets would be a waste.

You can make up the water either in the tank or in a separate container. If you mix it in a separate container and let the salt dissolve for at least 24 hours before adding it to the tank, the tank will be much more clear off the bat. If you do what Yote said and mix the water in the tank and then add the sand, it will take a couple days for it to clear up. It doesn't matter either way though.

if you wanted to since you have a smaller tank you can just buy pre mixed water at the LFS and put the sand in and then just immediately pour the water in and leave it at that saving you money on salt and RO water

Buying pre-made saltwater from the LFS will cost more than buying a bag of salt and mixing up your own. Convenience comes at a premium.

If you'll rinse the bag of sand off with RO or distelled water,you can submerge the bag in the tank.Then just cut the bag in half and gently ease the sand out.That way you wont have a sand storm.

If you'll rinse the bag of sand off with RO or distelled water,you can submerge the bag in the tank.Then just cut the bag in half and gently ease the sand out.That way you wont have a sand storm.

Hey!!! I just posted that in a different thread - THEIF!!!

Seriously, you got great advice. Wait a week for SURE before you add livestock, even if you use cured rock. You are not pressed for time. Patience is your friend with this hobby. I would add another powerhead for sure, all pointing up toward to surface of the water and facing each other to create a nice whirlwind to swirl around your water column

-Doc

Yote is right on until the part about mixing the alt in the tank and adding the sand and rock. He does clarify adding he sand later in a way that does not form a cloud , but left out the important part submitted by Biffer, and that is that the water should be mixed up at least 24 hours ahead of time and that there should be a circulating pump (power head) in the mixed water to aerate it before using it, or use an air stone hooked up to an air pump. Also not mentioned is that you should use RO water to mix up your tank water. And know you should not have to add anything to your tank other than the live rock and live sand. I would add a little (very little, like 4 or 5 flakes) fish food to the tank every four or five days for two weeks. This is not to start a large growth in nitro bacteria but to feed the life forms brought in with your live rock and live sand. If at any time a ammonia test shows ammonia stop feeding the tank, until the ammonia reading is again zero. Do not start feeding the tank if the tank already has a ammonia reading. Do not feed the tank for the first two days after all the rock, sand and water are added. I preferably would mix the water a day a head in a large trash can, and put a power head in it, add the live sand to the tank on day two and use the plate and add the water. I would wait until the water was clear before adding the live rock. This site has a very good written method of cycling your tank with live rock and live sand. It would be wise to follow it. http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/thepackage/setup.html The reason I add feeding a little bit of food is that your hitchihers (croitters) will be with your live rock, not shipped seperately, however your amount of hitchikers will be considerably less than that shipped by TampBay live rock. You should do the recommended water changes as directed by Tampabay for the best live rock.

Last edited:
Back