A couple of "What are these?"

Veilside0Three

Reefing newb
I have three things that hitchhiked on my LR, I have no idea what they are. Picture one looks kinda like pulsing xenia or however its spelled. Picture two looks like a mushroom polyp? And picture three is a small very vibrant lime green anemone with pink tips. They are moving all over the place at night, i have about 15 all together. Picture 4 shows a side view of one on my protein skimmer intake guard. And picture 5 shows them completely taking over a friends tank. He had his first hitchhiker about 7 years ago, and they just grew and grew.

Attachments

• IMG_0283.jpg
    IMG_0283.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_0290.jpg
    IMG_0290.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 308
That said, I do agree with you that the first one looks like xenia and the second one looks like mushrooms.

The third and fourth pics, however, definitely look like majano, which is an undesirable pest anemone.

The ones in the first picture turn into knobs at night, then bloom with my lights daily. I've never seen pictures of aiptasia or majano with lime green/bright pink tips..

I did a google image search on pink tip anemone and there are a few pictures, if you follow the first link it's to a site that speciically says "these cute anemones are perfect for a nano tank, reproduce quick, but do not sting others like
Majano or aiptasia."

Are these things pests? I don't want my tank overridden lol

The first and second are xenia and mushrooms.
But the rest I can tell about.I know there anemones,but dont know what kind.

Back