A couple things that Piss me Off

BigH55

I'm that guy
If someone is selling frags, wouldnt you think that they would mount them to plugs and have them ready to buy. I bought some frags the other day and had to bring them home, mount them to LR, since I didnt have plugs, and then attach them to the rock in the aquarium. Then to top it off, my favoite frag, the pink lemonade, blew off the farg plug and fell into the abyss. Also, whoever invented the aquarium epoxy, is the biggest stroke ever. The stuff sucks and doesnt work.

I'd rather glue the frags myself than to have them on plugs.
That way I can glue the frag to a piece of rubble and epoxy it where I want it.

I use superglue exclusively on SPS frags, that aquarium epoxy doesn't do it for me. Some places will mount em, some won't. I like ORA frags b/c theyre usually encrusted well onto the plug. Other times, like Yote said, its just better to have them loose so you can mount em how you like it. Cost saving move by your seller, I think. Plugs can add up in cost pretty quick.

Big I totally agree with you. I don't think that plugs are too much to ask for when you purchase corals. It pisses me off too, when I get a shipment of corals unattached. I think the last thing I should have to do is mount them myself! Not to mention the stress involved after moving/shipping etc. them. Then to have to put them through a mounting can't be healthy for them.

epoxy DOES work the trick is wait a few hours to let it start to set or my trick keep puting it in the microwave for 5 secs at a time and it starts to go off. sticks corals every time

hope this idea helps you in the future most people mix the resin stick it staight to coral its melting as your doing it and ten mins later the coral has fell off

I hate frag plugs and either break the coral off the plug or cut the stem off plug. I use super glue gel to attach the coral or chopped down plug to a piece of live rock. If I have a choice, I will take unmounted frags any day and mount them myself.

epoxy DOES work the trick is wait a few hours to let it start to set or my trick keep puting it in the microwave for 5 secs at a time and it starts to go off. sticks corals every time

What kind of epoxy are you using that takes HOURS to set up?! The epoxies I've used are usually unworkable after 5 minutes or so.

I used the Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel for my last frags. It seemed to work pretty well even when the zonathids were "slimming" a bit when I was trying to glue them. I've also heard that small ceramic tiles work really well if you don't have any live rubble sitting around. I probably have 15-20 lbs and a chiesel so I will probably be using rubble for a long time :)

I'm with yote, he knows from experience that i can't stand the plugs. They're just a pain to position or glue/epoxy in my little reef.

The key to epoxy is to also use super glue superglue on bottom of epoxy ball to hold it to the rocks, epoxy to hold indefinately then super glue the frag for short term holding.

I had frag plugs with a passion.

Back