A few coral questions

Jmck

Reef enthusiast
First off, I have a leather coral, which honestly, is a little bit ugly. lol

It is sitting on two rocks, but the coral is joined between the gap, meaning its one big peice on two rocks. Am I able to just get an exacto knife, and cut it right down the middle making two corals? Or is this going to damage it?

Another thing, I was wondering, how do I frag a duncan? Long tenticled plate coral and zoos?

thanks for any help :) :Cheers:

Yep, you can cut the leather right in half. As for the duncans, you have to wait until there are several polyps to frag them. Then break or cut them off at the base, being sure not to damage the flesh. With the plate coral, cut it right in half, making sure both sides get part of the mouth. Fragging a plate coral can be risky -- the frags have a pretty high chance of dying, and they can take a year or more to grow back into a normal shape. Zoas, you can take a blade and cut them off of the rock in between polyps. Wear gloves and goggles or something so you don't get squirted in the eye.

Thanks biff, the plate corals are fairly interesting in how you frag them, going to have to be really careful with that!

Back