A few questions

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
As all of you know, I've been relying on you to help me along the way, and today is no different. I made a bunch of purchases today, and I'm wondering if I should be feeding different foods, or supplementing different chems etc. At this point, this it what I have in my tank

Anthelias
Frogspawn
Ricordea (small frag that isn't growing)
GSP
Colt coral
Blue mushrooms
Red/Orange mushroom (I have no idea, but we found two of these behind our rock today)
Close Brain
Short tentacle plate coral
Finger leather

Two Clowns
Royal Gramma
Purple Firefish
Anthias (after reading today, I think I was really misinformed about this fish, will it do well alone in a 46?)

The only things I've been doing is feeding frozen food, which I believe is brine. The only supplements I've been adding is reef complete and purple up.

My stats as of last testing were excellent. Nitrates around 5, everything else nil. My lfs will test again tomorrow, as my home tests aren't very accruate it seems)

Should I be using other foods? Do any of these require special feeding? Anything else I should know?

Once again thanks for the input!

Hi,
A 46 gallon tank is way too small for an anthia, plus they are a schooling fish. I would return it if I were you.

Brine shrimp is like fishy junkfood. You are better off switching to mysis shrimp. There really isn't any nutritional value in brine. I use a variety of frozen foods for my tank, probably about a dozen different kinds, and just rotate them every day.

I believe the only coral that needs to be fed is the plate.Ditch the brine,its has no nutritional value.Feed mysis,cyclopeeze and other frozen foods for the anthias and other fish.I feel variety is the key to keeping fish healthy.Dosing phytoplankton once to twice a week could be beneficial.

Curious,what kind of anthias?
Because of their diet and metabolism they need to be fed several times each day.

I can't return the lyretail, its a 2 hr ride to the store I got it from. Someone said a lyretail should be ok by itself, so we'll see how things go. If it starts to stress or go wonky in any way, I'm out 24 bucks.

Melon,
The only thing I can see.Is you need to use more of a mix of foods.
Brine has little to none nutrential value to begin with.So mix it with some krill,mysis,and other frozen foods.
Our fish and inverts need a varied diet to stay healthy.
As for additives.Test for calcium and magnesium,alkalinity and such.Then only dose for those as needed.

I bought mysis today and emerald entree, I knew about the mysis being better, and someone mentioned emerald entree on here, so I picked it up too.

I can't return the lyretail, its a 2 hr ride to the store I got it from. Someone said a lyretail should be ok by itself, so we'll see how things go. If it starts to stress or go wonky in any way, I'm out 24 bucks.

A single lyretail will do fine singly.feed at least twice daily.
Good luck.

Back