A few reef questions

kmart189

Reefing newb
So I have a few questions I have had my tank for about a year and a half and am finally making the jump to add corals. What are the added parameters I need to worry about and what are the ranges (Calcium and what should it read etc) I have put up 500 watt MH and found a killer deal on some dry live rock (.50cents a pound I am going to get 200 additional pounds yes that is not a typo .50 cents craigslist) My question is how do I need to wait to add corals to these new pieces if so how long? I can add it to my existing rock anyway. I also am going to need to pickup a new test kit with calcium since mine only has the basics trates, trites, ph, amonia, etc... What is a decent brand that I am not going to break the bank with, yet still be happy? Sorry so long thanks in advance for the input

your lighting is pretty much adequate for corals, we aim for 4 watts per gallon but the metal halides are strong so thats ok.

calcium needs to be between 400 and 500 according to my API test kig, and that should be easy to keep unless you get SPS corals which need a lot of dosing.

your tank is easily ready for corals, API is a cheap kit should do the job you want.

you just need to keep all other parameters at what you would for fish

also, salinity needs to be about 1.025-1.026 for corals. Cause ive heard some people keep it lower when they just have fish

I dont really dose my tank at the moment, but I have a calcium +3 kit which doses calcium, strontium molybdenum and iodine supplement.

but other than that, I dont believe you need to worry about dosing if you keep up water changes and dont get any sps corals

Josh is right. With most corals, you don't need to dose anything as long as you do regular water changes. If you start getting heavily into stony corals, calcium additives may be necessary.

my first corals are going to be a mushroom rock and a frogspawn any specifics? Currently I do water changes every orther weekend and use Instant Ocean.

No, with only those two corals and water changes every other week you shouldn't have to dose anything

Just get in the habit of testing calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium.
And dont forget that coralline algae needs the exact same parameters that stony corals do.

Just get in the habit of testing calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium.
And dont forget that coralline algae needs the exact same parameters that stony corals do.

Learn something new all the time, I havent checked my magnesium, need to get a kit for that lol.

thanks ;)

Water changes... Are you sure you used the test kit correctly? Calcium kits can be tricky, and if it was really off the charts, I don't think you'd be able to see through the snowstorm that would be your tank.

Ok so I did the API calcium test again what am I doing wrong? I added 10 drops of solution #1 and shook the tube that was filled to the white line. Then I shook bottle #2 and added a drop put the cap on and shook the tube a little took off top added another drop of #2 and shook repeated all the way up to 16 drops? It did turn blue towards the top of the tube before I shook it a couple of times, but it was only where the solution wasn't mixed in yet. So what did I do wrong should I not shake between drops of #2?

It was the last one on the shelf at petsmart I don't know if they will take it back either that's not cool

Last edited:
Back