A hidden leak:S

michelle

Reefing newb
Hello,
I went out yesterday afternoon and stayed out for the night. When I got back this afternoon my tank had about 6-7 gallons less water in it then when I left. And yes, my floor is soaking wet.
So, I checked the tank over and found no visible leaks, then I checked both filters and they both seem ok. So, I topped up my water level and so far I can not detect the leak.
Any suggestions how to find it or what else to check for?
I know it seems obvious that there must be a leak in the tank, but it was only bought a little over a year ago, and it seems wierd that it would just suddenly start leaking right?
Also, IF I find this leak, (it seems to be in the back left corner-or at least thats where some salt markings are where the water must have evaporated as it ran down the corner)
Can I repair it? What is the best product to use?
Thanks a million

Oh also, we had a short power outage here, would a surge have done something strange to the filter that would have done this? (just grasping at straws)

guessing..i think that probably in thecorner mentioned, silicone is not doing its job..to identify the leak you can put paper tape to every corner of the tank..if it gets wet theres the leak, to fix it youll have to empty the tankto fix it with silicone...ill be wiser to see what other member of the forumhas to say..good luck

What kind of filters are you running?
If the power went out,then a powerhead could have cause the water to kinda surge over the edge,but I doubt it.

Keep a close eye on where you think the water came from.If it is leaking,IMHO,you'd be better off just to replace the tank.

Reeffreak had a new 210 spring a leak just a few weeks ago.So it can and does happen.

i have had hang on filters start corroding through motor and and leak everywhere happened twice with skilter hand on skimmer.

I had a brand new tank that the bottom silicone started leaking,so yeah,it does happens.Check everything from the corner and bottom seal to equipment like the sump,skimmer etc.

i would keep a close eye on where the salt creep is. most likely that is where the leak is (if there is any).

Seems strange that you would lose that much water that fast if you had a unnoticable leak. It sounds like something overflowed when the power went out.

So, after much investigation I found that my hang on back filter was the problem. The thing on bottom that levels it had popped off and in one corner of the filter the water was creeping out. I don't really know how I missed it. I guess I just jumped to the assumption of a leak in that corner when I saw the salt trail and didn't look elsewhere.
Thanks for everyone's advice.
I do appreciate it

Back