a living reefs frag trade

daugherty

part time reefer
how many people would like to start a free frag trade? i do not know the detils of how it will work right now but the plans are in the works just wondering how many people would like to get in on it.

Im in James as you know, how about the Community Organizer. We need to get Alexander on board. We can work out the details based on how many we have interested.

I'm on board guys, I know there has been light talk about this here and there but no execution. I think its time we buckle down and make it official and throw it down.

Something like a thermos trade would probably be the best bet. Fill the thermos with a frag, send it to whoever, then they send 1 to the next person and so on until it gets back to the original sender.
The only issue I have with something like this is the shipping cost. I can get pretty much any kind of frag I want locally and it would cost less than what the shipping for the thermos would cost. If people don't have frags available locally, the thermos thing would probably work nice.

Capt I think that we could all get pretty much anything we want locally, I think that it would just be nice to send some frags to my buddies from here, just for the gesture of it more than anything. I dont have a problem occasionally eating the shipping costs of sending a frag or two.

i have a hard time getting frags here i can get them but they cost a ton. around here the most we can usually get is softies and a select few lps and almost no sps.
even if i have to send a small box with heat packs that will be fine with me.

James even if this doesnt fly i would be willing to send you just about anything you could want. Whether it came out of my tank or if I got it from the LFS.

I'm in. I mentioned this last year. I remember we were going to try it last spring in 2008 but it never happened. Most frags around here will cost $25-$40 anyway, so spending that for shipping is no big deal to me. I'm VERY limited on the kinds of frags I can get around here.

I'm not extremely limited, but I think it is just a cool idea to share our tanks with the people we know. It would be fun. Even if it is additional cost its still worth it to me. I have talked to LeRoy from GARF about this before and he has suggested to me to fill a double bag with water and just send it in one of those cheap styrofoam coolers that you can pick up from the store. Apparently it stays pretty well insulated and when people see a cooler like that theyget handled extra carefully.

what we can do is next time someone orders livestock online we can just save the box, styrofoam box and packing they use and just keep reusing that so we dont have to throw away money on the box and packaging fees

I'm in. I'd love to help out those who have difficulty getting SPS especially, my heart goes out to you guys. I've never done a mail frag swap, so I'm not sure what the cost is to send this stuff across the country.

I would love to join but my tank is not stocked with corals enough to frag anything, i need to receive more than i can send so i dont want to be just on the receiving end (it wouldnt be fair). But still, i would love to take part however i can, just let me know.

I'll have to sit this one out too.Sine my anemone incident,I dont have anything big enough to frag just yet.

i like the idea but would like to see the details on how this would work ... i also have a small cooler about 12" x 12" in a box that i got from ordering online ... how big a frag are we talking ... # of polyps ... length/height

how will you know who is sending to who ... is there going to be a schedule ... and is it a surprise frag or something the other person wants that you may have

Back