A near disaster!

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
Well, the little hose clamp on my Ramora pro let go a few minutes ago, and the mag3 fell off the hose. The problem is, directly below the pump is my one pile of live rock. The pump landed on the rock and shot a pile of water into the air, straight out of the top of the tank. My wife used her race car driver reflexes and ran over and pulled the power on the bar. It looks like she broke her toe in the process. Anyways, I don't trust these little black plastic clamps too much. Can I use regular gear clamps? I read somewhere any metal in the tank is a big no-no. Is there anything else. I may move the skimmer to the centre of the tank, so if it happens again the pump will simply fall to the bottom of the tank instead of flooding the house. But that pump is soooooo huge and unsightly. I may end up buying the pre-skimmer box to hide it.

You can use the stainless hose clamps,but even they will rust pretty quick in salt water.You could probably glue the hose on,but if anything happened,you'd have to cut the hose off the pump.

Hmmm I had the Remora Pro for 2 years and never had a problem with the clamps. Are you sure you had it as tight as could possibly be?

I wouldn't super glue it, that would make the pump impossible to clean. Instead, I would arrange your rock work so that the pump sits on a pile of rocks and can't slip off.

Please do not use any steel even stainless steel hose clamps in saltwater.Use plastic wire ties,the kind 5-0 use to hand cuff people.

Also make sure that the wire ties dont have a little metal peice that keeps the wire tie secure. Most dont but I have seen some that do.

Brian

I'm just sticking with the plastic clamp for now, I managed to get them pretty tight with a pair of channel locks

Back