A Newbie to this world!

Kayla29

Reefing newb
Hi everyone! I am completely new to the would of saltwater aquariums. When I was younger my family stuck to strictly freshwater. It has been quite a few years since we've had any tanks but I am excited about this new adventure! I currently have a 75g tank with a canister filter. I'm planning to begin with a fish only tank and I was hoping I could get some suggestions as to which fish would work best together and how many would be appropriate for a 75g tank. My one hope is to get a yellow tang. I'm just not sure if a 75g would be sufficient as I want it to be comfortable and happy. It would be the only larger fish I'd be investing in for this size tank. Besides that I was thinking a few clown fish and maybe some cleaner shrimp! Any comments and suggestions for other fish would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Welcome aboard! A 75 isn't really big enough for a yellow tang. They need about six feet of horizontal swimming room. Clownfish would be great. A cleaner shrimp would be good too.There are lots of blennies, gobies and wrasse among others that would do great in there. A canister filter isn't really the way to go with saltwater. They become a detritus trap and start creating nitrate problems. The best filtration is having 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon(in your case 75-150 lbs.) and a good skimmer (a must IMO) along with having good flow with powerheads in the tank. Avoid using tap water- RO/DI is best. And remember patience is a must in this hobby. :D

Welcome! I definitely recommend clowns. I have an orange and a black that have paired and it makes a beautiful combo!

Back