A nother NOB question.

live rock or deep sand bed in 10 gal refugium

• live rock (explain in thead please)

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • deep sand bed (explain in thead please)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (explain in thead please)

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

supernatureal

Reefing newb
What would be better and why, in a refugium? I am going to be setting up a refugium in a 10 Gal tank. Would it be better with a 6 inch deep sand bed and cheteo or just live rock and cheteo.

Another question. I just got about 80 pounds of live rock for $100.00 from another person. Was advertised as 50 to 60 lbs. When I picked up to day he thinks it is more like 80 lbs. It is still in water but would it be better to recure the rock before using it?

With the fuge you want a deep sandbed for pods and whatnot to live in.

As for the rock, depends.
Are you just setting the tank up now? If it were me, I'd try to find as many harmful critters as possible before using it in the tank. Then I would probably use the inevitable die-off of the rock to cycle the tank.

That's an awsome deal for rock though. But buying privately is always riskey because you're taking all the creatures with you, meaning a good possibility of bad hitchhikers. On the flip side, if it came from a nice established tank, you're probably getting a good pod/worm etc population with it.

Why not a combination of LR and a DSB? Then add the cheato and your set.
LR for biological filtration,The same for the DSB.Cheato for nutrient export.All of it will make pods happy.:D

I could see that using both would be a good ideal. How ever I only have room the a 10 gal tank and space in there is tight. How would you do both in a 10 gal tank.

I think cheato and other macro algaes would be some of the best additions to your fuge. You also might want to compare "mud" in your fuge vs DSB. People have strong opinions about both. Good luck! Let's see some pics when you've got it set up.

Catherine

Here is my fuge, I have it all, I have a DSB it start in the back and runs down a hill the shallow part is what you can see in the pic, then I have LR and Cheato. I would HIGHLY recommend Cheato. I also only have 1 peppermint shrimp that lives in there due to some aiptasia issues.

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

If you have sand to spare, you may want to consider setting up a plenum. This could help foster beneficial bacteria that assist in lowering nitrates.

My fuge successfully houses a sh*tload of pods right now...all I have in there is miracle mud (pricey, but it's what I've got so I'm not changing ;) ), a big ball of chaeto, and maybe 1 or 2 pieces of small rocks, probably not even weighing a lb total. The pods crawl all over the cheato...it's like a hotel in there.

Here is my fuge, I have it all, I have a DSB it start in the back and runs down a hill the shallow part is what you can see in the pic, then I have LR and Cheato. I would HIGHLY recommend Cheato. I also only have 1 peppermint shrimp that lives in there due to some aiptasia issues.

IMG_2290.jpg

IMG_2288.jpg

All that fit in a 10 gal aquarium. I am going to be using a 10 gal aquarium as that is all the room I have. Doesn't a DSB need to be at least 6 inches to be affective. I will not be using a skimmer as I am only using a 20 gal tank with a ref. and doing water changes.

A DSB does have to be at least 6 inches to be effective. Anaerobic bacteria won't live in anything shallower, so if it's not 6 inches or more, it's just a regular sand bed.

If you don't have the room, I would do just Cheato. If you have any blank spaces in there you could put some live rock rubble in there also. I'd skip the sand or mud.

In my old fuge, I had a DSB (around 9" deep), live rock rubble and chaeto. In my current fuge, I only have live rock rubble and chaeto.

Put all LR and sand in the main display tank. Fill that fuge with chaeto! Maybe leave room for a skimmer. What is the whole purpose of a fuge? Filtration! To get 'trates down and have cleaner water. Chaeto has an incredible ability to eat 'trates out of the water.

I would personally avoid deep sand bed, unless you have an animal that will sift through the sand and keep it stirred up you chance it going annorobic and crashing your tank (this has happened to me)

I would use mineral or miracle mud and chaeto. Pods will produce like crazy in the chaeto. I have kept my refugiums this way for years and have had wonderful success. Put at least 1.5Ibs per gallon of live rock in your display.

A DSB does have to be at least 6 inches to be effective. Anaerobic bacteria won't live in anything shallower, so if it's not 6 inches or more, it's just a regular sand bed.

I wouldn't call anything UNDER 6" a "regular" sand bed. I'd call that a DISASTER. :shock:

Use 2" of sand or LESS

OR use AT LEAST 6" of sand.

Not 3" and not 4" and not 5" - those are the types of sand beds that end up causing problems. Too deep to keep it clean -- but not deep enough for nitrate reduction

Either use only 1 or 2 inches of sand or go big and use at least 6" of sand. 8" would be better, but I know from experience that 6" works.

Last edited:
Back