A question about dying cup coral. Please Help?!

djkorte

Reefing newb
Okay, so me and my gf bought a cup coral for our 10 gallon nano reef tank. The tank has been set up for almost 2 months and we already had some mushrooms, button pollups, cabbage coral, and star polyps. Well, the cup coral did great the first few days, but then last night we did our weekly water change. Major Problems. Our hairy mushrooms started secreting this nasty purple goo, which we were told was a defense mechinism. Then a few hours later, our cup coral started oozing a huge amount of green goo. It looked as if the pretty blue color of the cup coral was flaking off along with the goo it was emitting. We have NO idea what happened??!! Was it the water change, or the coral ? Our calcium has been perfect and we add purple up and use reef crystal salt. The only thing I could think of was that the alkalinity is always a little higher than normal, but he had been doing so well until the water change. Please let me know what you think.

for one you dont need to dose purple up it is just calicum that you will get in the salt mix. what is your calicum reading. the second thing is that you do not have anything that id going to require you to add calcium right now your salt should provide plenty for what you have. what are all your prameter numbers this may help figure out what is going on

In a small tank like that, you're going to see a lot of chemical warfare between different types of corals. Softies are probably the most noxious of them when it comes to toxic secretions, and you have a tank full of softies. I'd guess that's the culprit, but it's hard to say without knowing what your water parameters are testing at.

Back