A question for all you experts

Discussion in 'New to Reefing' started by nensley, Jul 18, 2007.

1. nensley

nensley

How long after you started this hobby, were you really successful? As in, you no longer lost fish often and you finally knew what you were doing? I feel like after almost a year, I should know what I am doing, but I keep finding out new stuff all the time. And unfortunately, I am learning the hard way. Just needing some more reassurance I guess.

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to answer all my questions and for the reassurance I have gotten so far.

nensley, Jul 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. nensley

Bifferwine I am a girl

I think I lost my last fish...Maybe about 4 months after I set up my tank??? Now corals, I've lost a few of those lately because I took a month long vacation and had a tank sitter all that time, and I don't think they got fed the way I instructed him to. But the chances of success are much greater the slower you take it. All of our tanks are constantly changing, we find out or learn something new, we tweak something here or there, they are all works in progress. We are all always learning.

Bifferwine, Jul 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. nensley

Bifferwine I am a girl

Hmm come to think of it, in the last two months, my sally lightfoot crabs have caught and eaten two of my fish. Which was okay with me. Because I had too many fish anyways and I wasn't able to catch them myself. Unfortunately, they had to pick a $50 fish as their first victim :(. But I don't count these as "losses", I was just going to let the sally lightfoots do their thing since I can't catch them either.

Bifferwine, Jul 18, 2007
  4. nensley

RigoSharon LIVING REEFS INTERN

theres always ups and downs in this hobbie, that way we learn..i had recently a daredevil gobby, i lost him the the day after i bough him..keep reading, thats the key for success

RigoSharon, Jul 19, 2007
  5. nensley

reeffreak

You never stop learning something new in this hobby.I loss all my fish on my first tank from disease.After six months or so,I realize that patients is really the key.No matter how knowledgeable or having the best equipment,we all will have a lost at some point or another.

reeffreak, Jul 19, 2007
  6. nensley

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

Ive been luck so far ( knock on wood). Ive only lost 2 fish so far.Because they decided they wanted to go carpet surfing.
    Like every body else said,In this hobby,your always learning.
    If you ever STOP learning,then its time to hang it up and get into some thing else.

yote, Jul 19, 2007
  7. nensley

winyfrog Yep!

Patients is key, find good people that you can trust with good knowledge. Its best to find someone with similar filtration and fish, because everyones aquarium is going to be different due to different filters, fish, corals, maintenance schedules etc..

I have been keeping saltwater fish for over 15 years and I still find new critters in my tank and learn new things everyday, this is a growing hobby that is becoming more and more successful with new inventions etc.

I recently lost 2 tangs a Chevron that I had for 4 years and a tomini (flame fin) that I had for 2 years, due to a power failure. My chiller stopped working and my tank reached about 84 degrees in less then 24 hours, my fish all became stressed and came down with ick. Considering I have 40 fish and only lost 2 not bad only very sad :( (this was in my 850) Everyone is better now and doing great.

winyfrog, Jul 20, 2007
  8. nensley

HAWKS12thMAN NWKRC THUG!

Define successful..... I own awsome corals and I do great at those...... as for fish, lets just say I have some really bad luck!

HAWKS12thMAN, Jul 20, 2007
  9. nensley

Alexander

Yote is the king at carpet surfing fish. not only did you lose 2 that way, but must i bring up the lionfish incodent

Alexander, Jul 20, 2007
  10. nensley

LionFish Resident Photoshopper

What happened with his Lion? he he sounds like a good one!

I have only been in to the hobbie for a few months and The best i can add here is Read all the helpful articles...
    I have lost one Fish. my lil NEMO he was found in the same mobile home that I found my tank that is what threw me in to this hobbie , I did manage to save the Blue hippo tang that was paired with the clown.

LionFish, Jul 20, 2007
  11. nensley

Sara

I'm curious about carpet surfing too. I hope none of mine try to "hang ten" and catch a shag wave.

Sara, Jul 20, 2007
  12. nensley

Bifferwine I am a girl

Yote dropped his lion fish on the carpet and grabbed it with his hands to save it (OUCH!).

Bifferwine, Jul 20, 2007
  13. nensley

Alexander

yeah lets just say if your lionfish goes carpet surfing DO NOT try to pick it up with your bare hands haha. poor yote, sadly I could see myself doing something like that too. you see your fish on the floor and panic to get it off of the floor forgetting that I can mess you up.

Alexander, Jul 20, 2007
  14. nensley

Sara

Damn, I bet that hurt. Did the fish survive? Obviously yote did. :) Hey Redline, I just barely noticed you're in Boise. Yea, I'm not the only person from Idaho.

Sara, Jul 20, 2007
  15. nensley

Alexander

yeah from what I understand he traded it in at his LFS. nope your not alone! I didn't notice you were from idaho. PNUT is from idaho too but he does not post very often.

Alexander, Jul 20, 2007
  16. nensley

I'd rather you didnt Red,:helm2::mrgreen:

yote, Jul 21, 2007
  17. nensley

Yeah guys,The lionfish survived.He's still at the LFS and in great shape.

Naw Sara,It didnt really hurt.

But it stung like crazy and itched even worse.

yote, Jul 21, 2007
  18. nensley

Sara

:DDid you have to pee on your hands?:mrgreen:

Sara, Jul 21, 2007
  19. nensley

Alexander

Peeing on your hands is actually not exactly something you want to do. its more myth and can be counterproductive. I'm sure Dr Rigo will back me up on this one.

Alexander, Jul 21, 2007
  20. nensley

Sara

I meant it as a joke. :)

Sara, Jul 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question