A question for all you experts

nensley

Reefing newb
How long after you started this hobby, were you really successful? As in, you no longer lost fish often and you finally knew what you were doing? I feel like after almost a year, I should know what I am doing, but I keep finding out new stuff all the time. And unfortunately, I am learning the hard way. Just needing some more reassurance I guess.

I really appreciate all of you taking the time to answer all my questions and for the reassurance I have gotten so far.

I think I lost my last fish...Maybe about 4 months after I set up my tank??? Now corals, I've lost a few of those lately because I took a month long vacation and had a tank sitter all that time, and I don't think they got fed the way I instructed him to. But the chances of success are much greater the slower you take it. All of our tanks are constantly changing, we find out or learn something new, we tweak something here or there, they are all works in progress. We are all always learning.

Hmm come to think of it, in the last two months, my sally lightfoot crabs have caught and eaten two of my fish. Which was okay with me. Because I had too many fish anyways and I wasn't able to catch them myself. Unfortunately, they had to pick a $50 fish as their first victim :(. But I don't count these as "losses", I was just going to let the sally lightfoots do their thing since I can't catch them either.

theres always ups and downs in this hobbie, that way we learn..i had recently a daredevil gobby, i lost him the the day after i bough him..keep reading, thats the key for success

You never stop learning something new in this hobby.I loss all my fish on my first tank from disease.After six months or so,I realize that patients is really the key.No matter how knowledgeable or having the best equipment,we all will have a lost at some point or another.

Ive been luck so far ( knock on wood). Ive only lost 2 fish so far.Because they decided they wanted to go carpet surfing.
Like every body else said,In this hobby,your always learning.
If you ever STOP learning,then its time to hang it up and get into some thing else.

Patients is key, find good people that you can trust with good knowledge. Its best to find someone with similar filtration and fish, because everyones aquarium is going to be different due to different filters, fish, corals, maintenance schedules etc..

I have been keeping saltwater fish for over 15 years and I still find new critters in my tank and learn new things everyday, this is a growing hobby that is becoming more and more successful with new inventions etc.

I recently lost 2 tangs a Chevron that I had for 4 years and a tomini (flame fin) that I had for 2 years, due to a power failure. My chiller stopped working and my tank reached about 84 degrees in less then 24 hours, my fish all became stressed and came down with ick. Considering I have 40 fish and only lost 2 not bad only very sad :( (this was in my 850) Everyone is better now and doing great.

What happened with his Lion? he he sounds like a good one!

I have only been in to the hobbie for a few months and The best i can add here is Read all the helpful articles...
I have lost one Fish. my lil NEMO he was found in the same mobile home that I found my tank that is what threw me in to this hobbie , I did manage to save the Blue hippo tang that was paired with the clown.

yeah lets just say if your lionfish goes carpet surfing DO NOT try to pick it up with your bare hands haha. poor yote, sadly I could see myself doing something like that too. you see your fish on the floor and panic to get it off of the floor forgetting that I can mess you up.

Damn, I bet that hurt. Did the fish survive? Obviously yote did. :) Hey Redline, I just barely noticed you're in Boise. Yea, I'm not the only person from Idaho.

yeah from what I understand he traded it in at his LFS. nope your not alone! I didn't notice you were from idaho. PNUT is from idaho too but he does not post very often.

Yeah guys,The lionfish survived.He's still at the LFS and in great shape.

Naw Sara,It didnt really hurt.

But it stung like crazy and itched even worse.

Peeing on your hands is actually not exactly something you want to do. its more myth and can be counterproductive. I'm sure Dr Rigo will back me up on this one.

Back