a question on anemones

ZyberGoby

Because I'm clever
ok does any one know of the process of an anemone dividing whats suppose to happen? and if it even h appends in captivity? my mammoth one i got in an opp's shipment of liverock keeps flexing his mid section to the point of like hes trying to brake that part off?? I'm a bit perplexed on this matter???

I don't have one, but anenomes will reproduce in your tank. My nephew just traded in a bunch of small ones for some corals because of reproduction...

Are you sure it's an anenome that you have? To get an anenome as a hitchhicker would be a rare occurance.

yeah the sucker in my photos the sucker is huge i got the Live rock from saltwaterfish.com a friend and i went in on 25lb. and in this mess was this honking mammoth anemone. when i found it, it looked withered i acclimated it top my tank. then put it in i feed it some brine and in a day it puffed back out. looked like a big 'ol anenome .now it keeps flexing the mid section of its stalk like it wants to brake it off then puffs back out. i don't know what to do its freaking me out. i never had one this big the ones i use to have way back in the day were all small.

What kind of nem is it? And how long have you had it? Could you post a pic? Anemones do split in captivity and that sounds as though that could be the case but I've only heard of certain nems doing that. Typically any hitchhiker anemone is a pest but identifying it would help

Are you feeding it? Mine puff out their mouths when I put food in the tank.
When you say flexing its midsection, are you talking about the foot or the mouth area?
Mine have split a couple of times. They start to look like they are dying and go hide. When they come back there are two. It takes them a while to heal their mouths so they will not eat right after the split.

zybergoby-albums-my-tank-yays-picture769-great-surprise-find-order-live-rock-friend-and-went-some-live-rock-scents-order-my-name-ended-up-keeping-now-get-clown-family-host-last-friends-tank-finally-get-ride-yellowtails-nursed-back-friend-fire-sad.jpg
well this is the guy im talking about

yeah its is being fed. when it flexes its expanding then contracts it looks a but off to me. i have never seen one do this it moves about time to time. but this morning it was like it was trying to rip its self in half. the way it was this guy pinched in was like something out of a Clive Barker flick... now that i just go home from a meeting for work it looks like its trying to cram it self in to an opening on my lava rock.

Back