A question on canister filters

arkansasboy

Reefer Wannabe
I am picking up my new tank Saturday and the guy I am getting it from said it comes with 2 canister filters with media. What is the best way to utilize a canister filter? I dont know anything about them, where they go or how they are hooked up. Help please.

Personally i would utilize them by putting them on craigslist or something. I say this cause they are known feed nitrate problems. Not saying you cant use them but if you do i would clean them often (at least once a week if not more).

Sell them and put the money towards a good skimmer. Thats my 2 cents.

Eventually they lead to high nitrates...that's why most people don't really use them. You can keep them to run carbon every once in awhile.

Personally i would utilize them by putting them on craigslist or something. I say this cause they are known feed nitrate problems. Not saying you cant use them but if you do i would clean them often (at least once a week if not more).

Sell them and put the money towards a good skimmer. Thats my 2 cents.
So a skimmer performs the same function as canister filters?

Pretty much a canister filter does not remove the gunk from the water column it just gets stuck in the filter and it is then allowed to break down there instead of in the tank causing nitrate problems. A skimmer is the best cause it completely removes the waste from the water column and does not allow it to get broken down.

I agree with cathic I plumbed in a red sea ocean clear in my return line that I have shutoffs on that I only run when I want to throw carbon or other media in for short periods..

Back