A Reef in the Sky lighting question

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I have watched these videos a few times over the last year mostly because I love the way the tank looks.

Today I watched it because I wanted to really check out the Acros in it.

I noticed in the reflection in this first video the lighting or the color of the bulbs that I never noticed before.

Here is the link [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap4ygFlMjns&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL]A Reef in the Sky: Aquarium - YouTube[/ame]

I saw in the water it looks like only 8 T5 bulbs which for one I thought were to weak for these corals and 2 it was 3 whites, 4 blues and some pink looking bulb, maybe some purple bulb I don't know about.

Anyone know what the bulb is and how he can use these for these corals. Maybe he just uses them for photos or video.

Those look like T5 bulbs to me, there are Fiji Purple bulbs that are more of a pinkish / purple color that are used to bring out certain colors in coral. An 8 bulb fixture with individual reflectors could keep acropora no problem IMO

I also just noticed he has one of the awesome wireless powerheads. They are like $400 or something for one.

Man I was told I HAD to have MH for them.

Looks like a purple bulb and in my experience, my fixture is only a 6 bulb T-5 with 4 actinics, 1 daylight, and 1 purple and I have some happy SPS pieces.

I actually got a Bushy Acro and have a larger one coming.

I placed it almost on the bottom for a day and then moved it up to about 3/4 to the top maybe. It is under my Marineland Pro MH and T5's. I would be shocked if my lights are more powerful than those at Live Aquaria so I am hoping it comes round. I thought I saw some slight color coming back after a week.

It has a powerhead blowing right through it where it was already pointing. I made the setup so I could have them in strong flo when I set u the tank. It is not one inch away but the Torch was near there and was blowing around good.

The one I have is purple but the one coming is Purple, Pink and Green with Neon Green Polyps. Nice ball shape too and very think with many, many branches in the 3.5 inches. Maybe like 20ish.

Love that thing. I want to get one. Anyone use one.

Is it just for the lower part of the tank or what I mean is it better there.

I see it there usually when I do see it.

When it comes to T-5s,you can keep just anything that you can with MH's.When I had my old 75,I kept SPS on the sand under 8-54 watt bulbs.

When it comes to T-5s,you can keep just anything that you can with MH's.When I had my old 75,I kept SPS on the sand under 8-54 watt bulbs.

Well then why on other threads people say my coral choices are limited? I know my tank is 30" Deep so maybe that is why.

When I had my 80Gal Bowfront I had my Nova Extreme Pro with the T5's and individual reflectors and most people kept saying I couldn't have anything but soft or LPS corals. It was only 6x54 but still.

I see the requirements for some of the SPS are only 3watts per gallon or that is what it recommends.

Maybe it's because other folks had a different experance .Been a while since I've been able to get on here and actually read the threads.

Love that thing. I want to get one. Anyone use one.

Is it just for the lower part of the tank or what I mean is it better there.

I see it there usually when I do see it.

Usually around mid-way.
And many times there are two, one across from the other, to create waves or alternating currents.
That's my tank on their website. ;) But that one Vortech was placed there just for the shot. My two vortechs are stacked one above the other due to the funky design of my tank and the dry dock my tank builder built into the overflow to house the dry side of the Vortechs.

Well then why on other threads people say my coral choices are limited? I know my tank is 30" Deep so maybe that is why.

When I had my 80Gal Bowfront I had my Nova Extreme Pro with the T5's and individual reflectors and most people kept saying I couldn't have anything but soft or LPS corals. It was only 6x54 but still.

I see the requirements for some of the SPS are only 3watts per gallon or that is what it recommends.

There's tons of beautiful SPS tanks being run on T5 only. It's more than strong enough.
Even one of our LFS has nothing but T5 over his tanks.

I just bought one of the MP40's for some random flow in my tank. I'm planning on a second one on the other side of the tank, but my wallet isn't deep enough to buy both at the same time. I can't believe how much water those things move - and they do it with out whipping up my sand bed

Back on topic, a 6 or 8 bulb T5 setup will allow you to keep pretty much anything you want with smart placement of corals. The marineland pro's are only 150 Watt Metal halides (unless they've changed since I owned one) and I'd guess those are a little underpowered for a 30' deep tank IMO- you could still keep SPS with those, but I'd keep them in the top half of the tank

Whoa sweet artwork on the wall D2.

Yeah the Marineland MHs are still 150 Watt.

My Acros are above the middle.

I placed my first one about 3 inches off the bottom the first day and then above the middle to where it will stay. I figured my lights are surely less powerful than what Live Aquaria uses(hope so) so I didn't expect any bleaching or death.

The first one has been in the tank for about 1 week and I started notices hints of purple coming back after shipping and I can see the little hairs blowing around on it.

My 2nd one is coming today sometime and has more branches on it. It is actually purple and green with some pink and then neon green polyps so I am hoping it colors up quickly.

I have purchased corals from a few places and on those shipped overnight seem to lose their color for a week or so.

My large Open Brain from them used to always be blubbery and soft but most of the time it looks tight. Hasn't lost any color but doesn't blow up like it used to.

Oh yeah and my Aussie Worm Brain was very chubby in their photos and has been in the tank for over 2 weeks and has still not really gotten its color back or filled up like it should. I had it on the bottom and near the top for a week each so I moved it to the middle now. It is better than it was but not like it should be and I follow its requirements.

Back